Newbie makes a smokin'deal - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Newbie makes a smokin'deal

Hey gang,my name is Craig.I live in the NE Ga mountains(think Tail of the Dragon).I have done SCCA racing in the past and have done 12 Lemons/Chumps races in the past 5 years.I have tired of motorcycles,so began searching for a track car.After months on Craigslist and forums,I stumbled on to a 95 SVT Cobra,set up for track.The owners(father and son) had bought the car new,and are ex Ford engineers from Dearborn.The PO had started to build for a Chump car but the team disbanded,2 babies showed up,and the wifes minivan needed garage space! LOL
The car has too much to list here,but... Motor has been built to approx 375 hp(estimated).Edelbrock Victor heads and intake,Trickflow 75mm TB,10.5 to 1,Crane cam,headers,etc... Interior has been gutted with just a Corbeau race seat,Perrsonal wheel,and Schroth 5 point belts.
Cobra brakes with Hawk pads.Kenny Brown subframe connector and strut brace,camber plates,Tokiko adjustable coilover up front,Cobra anti roll,etc... Professionally built roll cage (to race spec)
The motor is a beast,but the suspension will need some tuning.The Cobra brakes are good but not great. I will be checking in here for advice,as this is the first Mustang I have owned since a 67 fastback back in the 80's( yes,I am old).Here is the best thing...it is street legal!! I am really looking forward to a track day at Road Atlanta in a couple months!! I will absolutely have to put better performance tires on before that.
I bought the car,with a 16'dovetail open car trailer,for less than 6K! I have every receipt from the build,and boxes of original parts that came off the car.I thought it was an awesome deal.Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnels View Post
Hey gang,my name is Craig.I live in the NE Ga mountains(think Tail of the Dragon).I have done SCCA racing in the past and have done 12 Lemons/Chumps races in the past 5 years.I have tired of motorcycles,so began searching for a track car.After months on Craigslist and forums,I stumbled on to a 95 SVT Cobra,set up for track.The owners(father and son) had bought the car new,and are ex Ford engineers from Dearborn.The PO had started to build for a Chump car but the team disbanded,2 babies showed up,and the wifes minivan needed garage space! LOL
The car has too much to list here,but... Motor has been built to approx 375 hp(estimated).Edelbrock Victor heads and intake,Trickflow 75mm TB,10.5 to 1,Crane cam,headers,etc... Interior has been gutted with just a Corbeau race seat,Perrsonal wheel,and Schroth 5 point belts.
Cobra brakes with Hawk pads.Kenny Brown subframe connector and strut brace,camber plates,Tokiko adjustable coilover up front,Cobra anti roll,etc... Professionally built roll cage (to race spec)
The motor is a beast,but the suspension will need some tuning.The Cobra brakes are good but not great. I will be checking in here for advice,as this is the first Mustang I have owned since a 67 fastback back in the 80's( yes,I am old).Here is the best thing...it is street legal!! I am really looking forward to a track day at Road Atlanta in a couple months!! I will absolutely have to put better performance tires on before that.
I bought the car,with a 16'dovetail open car trailer,for less than 6K! I have every receipt from the build,and boxes of original parts that came off the car.I thought it was an awesome deal.Thoughts?
Congrats!!! That is a smoking deal

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017
PONY Member

Congrats on the new ride and welcome. I am 30-40 minutes away from Road Atlanta and I occasionally make trips up the blood mountain/Suches for spirited drives. Maybe we can get a local group together and go on cruises.

So is your Cobra a 302 based car? Or has it been bored/stroked?

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
Procharged--cammed--Lito tuned--coilover suspension

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017
PONY Member

Congrats and welcome from another old-timer from Georgia (about 35 miles east of Atlanta).

2006 GT 5-sp Premium Convertible
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the welcome.A group get together for a mountain run would be awesome! The car is a 302,but I honestly dont know if it has been bored/stroked.I will text the p/o and find out.It is a stock T5 tranny,with a limited slip 3.73 diff. I am excited with the car.I have yet to go thru all the boxes of parts that came with it.It has been'chipped' using a Moates Quarterhorse tuner.I am not familiar with that at all.The p/o is downloading all the tunes to a flash drive for me.I will post a couple pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
The car and trailer for 6K??? That doesn't sound like a smoking deal that sounds more like you robbed them and at gun point at that. haha

Welcome to the site and looking forward to your build journey posts. I will live through you on the track build. I have a "track car" myself currently with my 2013 Boss 302 although it has never seen the track or autocross.

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

That Boss 302 is my dream car! I had a Miata track car for a while.It was fun to drive and reliable,but the lack of power was tough in the straights.I did a track day at Roebling Road,and there was a Boss 302 in my run group.Damn...that thing was fast!It seemed like I was waving him by every other lap.
The Cobra had been on craigslist for a while.I honestly doubted that the car was what he said it was.I made the 3 hour trip to see it,after watching it for weeks.I intentionally didnt take any money LOL.After meeting the owner and driving the car,I realized it was exactly what he described.I am not sure why he didnt have more interest from buyers...but my gain!! He and his dad are both Mustang guys,and were happy to see it go to a good home.He had started off asking 7K for the package,but mine was the first offer he had.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

A couple pics

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in