Civic to Cobra ... Good Lord! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Civic to Cobra ... Good Lord!

Aloha Cobra owners! In the course of the past 2 months I've up and moved across the the country on a whim and after my loyal (although monotonous) Civic blew a head gasket last week, I'm now the proud owner of a Laser Red 2001 Cobra Mustang. Going from driving an automatic, 115hp Civic for 7 years to a a near 350hp manual Cobra .... my goodness! I have a few questions to ask if it's alright. I bought the car at a used dealership with 68k miles for $10k and it has some light mods done to it already (K&N CAI, a very loud cat-less exhaust, and a JLT oil separator) and after bringing it to a well-regarded mechanic in my area, it was given a good bill of health with the only things needing to be done being brake fluid drain/refill and power steering fluid service. My main question is, are there any known problems with this year Cobra that I could avoid with preventative maintenance in this mileage range? I have no intention of making it into a track car or street racing with it, just to maintain and enjoy it for as long as I possibly can. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017
Apprentice

Garage
Congrats on the purchase you will love the stang if you find the exhaust too loud you should be able to find a pair of stock mufflers that will be much quieter and for a cheap price on craigslist.I am not sure about maintenance but someone will chime in just wanted to say hey and welcome i have only been on the site for a month since i got mine but its a great site you may have to wait a day for replys but worth the wait.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

A few shots I took the day after buying her
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SVT Cobra (1 of 20).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	559594   Click image for larger version

Name:	SVT Cobra (20 of 20).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	996.7 KB
ID:	559602   Click image for larger version

Name:	SVT Cobra (19 of 20).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	559610   Click image for larger version

Name:	SVT Cobra (15 of 20) Blurred Plate.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	559618  

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
Welcome and congratulations. Great looking car.

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017
PONY Member

If the engine oil wasn't changed already do that as well and check all your filters. I'd probably change the fuel filter as well, just so you know where you're starting from. Go through the scheduled maintenance section of your service manual and see if there is anything you think should be done. Just use your best judgment. If you feel comfortable doing it all yourself it isn't bad. But if you're paying someone else it can get expensive fast. Can you have a Ford dealer run the VIN for any history or warranty issues? Add a short throw shifter on there and you'll have even more fun going through the gears. Listen to the clutch while you have the car in idle. When you depress it do you hear any weird noises (throw out bearing)? Does it engage smoothly? Never know how previous owners beat up on it. Also, I think with that year you can do this...with the car off, manually pull up on the clutch pedal and then press it back down. That will readjust it.

Good looking car. Congrats!

2008 Bullitt|Roush M90 w/2.57 pulley & CAI; 90mm MAF; Steeda-UCA, LCAs, Ultralites, links, mounts; MM CC plates; Bilsteins; GT500 FCAs; Brembos; Roush shifter; GT500KR axle back; etc
1969 Coupe Restomod-never complete!
2008 Power Wheels Bullitt Clone
Mustangs from the past: 66 coupe, 69 Coupe, 69 Grande, 2001 Bullitt, 2011 V6
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017
PONY Member

Congrats. The car looks very clean!

2006 GT 5-sp Premium Convertible
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks guys. I was a very low-level mechanic in my younger years but now don't have a garage or driveway to work in (live in a very strict condo) nor any of the tools that I used to have. I brought it to a well-rated mechanic in my area and had them inspect it. It was given a good bill of health with the only maintenance done being an oil change, brake fluid and power steering fluid drain/refill along with new wipers and replacement tube for washer fluid. All said and done I paid $400 but peace of mind was worth it. It came with a clean Carfax report when I bought it so that made me feel a bit better as well. Haven't done the fuel filter but I will add that to my upcoming list. I'm really just looking to restore it as best I can without doing many performance mods. Things I'm trying to look up atm are replacing the steering wheel as the leather is starting to crack and peel and find a way to clean the very cloudy/stained rims. Also, does anyone know of a good method for cleaning the engine/engine bay that doesn't involve water? I have no access to a hose where I'm at unfortunately. All methods I look up online involve using a power washer. Gracias amigos
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017
Apprentice

Garage
Beautiful colour man she is a really nice example
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page