• 1 Post By Saltydawg56
  • 1 Post By B.Cooper
  • 1 Post By Grimbrand
  • 1 Post By Beechkid

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Need advice on inherited SVT Cobra

Just inherited a 1999 Cobra SVT one owner 60000 original miles with all documents and paperwork/factory upgrades, the car was parked and stored 9 years ago, other than the obvious change fluids, new gas etc. what should I plan on doing to get her back on the road, and what is this thing worth?? any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018
BOSS Member

Congrats on the car! It will be a nice driver or weekend cruiser for you! As far as value, well, it's just another factory production car that was a performance model...nothing more, nothing less. Of course, all the filters should be changed, fuel definitely needs to be removed (guaranteed varnish), I would add 1 oz per gallon of acetone to the fresh fuel..... this will not hurt the cats, etc. but it will re-liquify/clean the fuel system of any varnish that may have formed in the injectors, pump, etc....it will raise the octane a tad too as well..... clean the intake (BG Products makes a very good intake cleaner) and I think I would add some marvel mystery oil to the engine oil....it will not hurt any of the components but again, it will liquify/clean (slowly) and gum/varnish that might have formed.

and an fyi...from a guy who has stored many a car for short and long term....
Prior to starting the 1st time, pull the plugs, and give each cylinder a little shot of wd40, then with the plugs our, just spin the engine over until oil pressure shows (either psi or oil light goes out. You now know that the cylinder walls are lubricated and all the bearings have oil. Also, it's not unusual for an engine to run a bit rough up to 2 weeks when they have been sitting that long...but all will be fine after it get's fully loosened up.

Good luck and enjoy!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
Congrats on the car! It will be a nice driver or weekend cruiser for you! As far as value, well, it's just another factory production car that was a performance model...nothing more, nothing less. Of course, all the filters should be changed, fuel definitely needs to be removed (guaranteed varnish), I would add 1 oz per gallon of acetone to the fresh fuel..... this will not hurt the cats, etc. but it will re-liquify/clean the fuel system of any varnish that may have formed in the injectors, pump, etc....it will raise the octane a tad too as well..... clean the intake (BG Products makes a very good intake cleaner) and I think I would add some marvel mystery oil to the engine oil....it will not hurt any of the components but again, it will liquify/clean (slowly) and gum/varnish that might have formed.

and an fyi...from a guy who has stored many a car for short and long term....
Prior to starting the 1st time, pull the plugs, and give each cylinder a little shot of wd40, then with the plugs our, just spin the engine over until oil pressure shows (either psi or oil light goes out. You now know that the cylinder walls are lubricated and all the bearings have oil. Also, it's not unusual for an engine to run a bit rough up to 2 weeks when they have been sitting that long...but all will be fine after it get's fully loosened up.

Good luck and enjoy!
thanks
Beechkid likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018
Apprentice

Nice congratz.

I don't drive fast, I fly low
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018
GLOBAL MODERATOR + NEW MEMBERS MANAGER
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

You might also want to take a good look at the tires for dry rot and flat spots. Best of luck and enjoy it!
Beechkid likes this.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
I think it's worth $5. I would be glad to come over and buy it from you right now. =)

*ornery grin*

All right, I have no idea what it's *really* worth, but you can look it up online pretty fast, and find out. Just be conservative with the condition when you check! Nice car, and hope you enjoy it while you have it!
Beechkid likes this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post
I think it's worth $5. I would be glad to come over and buy it from you right now. =)

*ornery grin*

All right, I have no idea what it's *really* worth, but you can look it up online pretty fast, and find out. Just be conservative with the condition when you check! Nice car, and hope you enjoy it while you have it!
Just in case somebody out bids "Grim" I'll throw in another $5 making it ten total!!!!
Grimbrand likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018
PONY Member

It can be worth 9 - 11,000 once you have it back in running order again. Replace the rubber parts in the steering and suspension and tires and see what else it needs to be derivable again like ball joints, brakes, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page