1998 SVT Cobra Convertible, 94k, for $10k? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question 1998 SVT Cobra Convertible, 94k, for $10k?

Hey guys! Looks like this is a pretty commonquestion here so hopefully you won't mind answering another one! I found a 1998 Cobra convertible being sold for $10k. It has some upgrades, mostly cosmetic, newer cobra rims, and custom cobra embroidered leather and a roll bar. from what I've gotten over the phone, everything under the hood is stock and was well maintained, and had a high performance clutch recently installed. It sounds as though this car was a "nice weather" car, and its owner just wants to unload it. It has 94k miles on it, which is great for a 14 yr old car, but this is for my soon to be wife, as her every day car, and I've been raised on much older, dare I say, GM products, and don't really know what I'm looking at, and what would usually be things to look for. Like how to determine if it's a clone, fair value, reliability/durability, common problems... Any help would be great! I'm excited about buying this car and joining the "herd" but you gotta do your homework before you can play right! -Thanks!

Thanks! -Steve -'98 SVT Cobra hairdryer, w/centerforce clutch, 18" cobra rims, stylebar, custom cobra embroidered leather, 1000w audio/video system, borla exhaust, K&N cold air kit.
And several Chevy's!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
u can tell if its a clone easy, real cobra's just stand out, and the real cobra will have a name plate signed and stamped with production location. but 10k for a 94k mile 98 seems abit high to me, ive seen 99s and 2000's going for around that but with 1/2 the millage.

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012
PONY Member

You mean 99's and 01's? Lol and 10,000 is way too much. I only paid $5000 for mine in 2009 with 109,000 on it. Best ways to determine if it's a clone or not: Huge "Cobra" brakes up front, Cobra on the steering wheel, Cobra on the rear bumper, front bumper with circular fog lights, and of corse the Cobra emblem on the top of the intake on the motor.

1996 Triple black Cobra-FRPP 4.10s, BBK o/r X, SLP LM1s, Ram HDX clutch, MGW Short Throw, FRPP Adjustable Clutch Cable, Steeda Quadrant & Firewall Adjuster, Mishimoto 3 core, FR500s on Nitto 555s, Eibach Pro-Kit springs

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

a 14 year old car will have repairs almost all the time...all the small stuff goes on these cars after 80K...the engine is solid but for 10K you can probably get into a newer 05+ GT if you look around...the easy way to spot the cobra is the 32V engine...I've heard rumors that used car prices have gone up, but it takes a cash buyer to sell a car like that, low ball it and see what happens (6 is what I'd pay)

2005 Ford Mustang GT CONVERTIBLE! Black/Tan 82K Miles! NICE!!
I'll bet your wife would greatly prefer something like this
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012
PONY Member

That is way too much, I paid $8,800 for mine supercharged and MMR block with 87k miles on the chassis.

2003 Zinc Yellow Cobra
Stiegemeier Stage 6 Ported Blower
2.76 upper / 4lb lower
K&N intake / LFP Throttle Body / Dragon Plenum
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Bough the car!

Talked the guy down to $8k, the thing was absolutely perfect! Inside and out, front to back, and all the improvements were top of the line and professionally done! There was one thing that I noticed that was out of place was the horse steering wheel center. It had everything else including the "P" in the VIN! I really couldn't believe how immaculate the thing is! I haven't seen one as nice since 1998, and that was at the dealer! Even underneath was clean enough to eat off of!!! We took it to a local dealer n had them check it out, and other than a license plate bulb, and a future brake job, it checked out! So I hear there is a different steering wheel center, so guess I've got my first tasks of finding the correct center, and uploading some pics!

Thanks! -Steve -'98 SVT Cobra hairdryer, w/centerforce clutch, 18" cobra rims, stylebar, custom cobra embroidered leather, 1000w audio/video system, borla exhaust, K&N cold air kit.
And several Chevy's!!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

you pull a carfax? The car may be a rebuilt wreck...it should say "Cobra" on the airbag
1994-1998 Ford Mustang Tan Cobra Air Bags SRS Airbag Bag Drivers Left Camel | eBay
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

possible wreck...

That was exactly what I thought too when I saw that! Thanks to what I read on here I knew to be looking for that, which led to further investigation! So, without pulling the engine to REALLY inspect the front clip, everything structural that was visiblke from crawling around under it, and poking around under the hood appeared to be nice n straight, no unusual ripples anywhere, nothing kinked. If it had been wrecked it had been quite some time ago, even the dirt around to bolts was untouched! I've worked at a couple body shops, n a few friends have these things, (mustangs, not cobras, even a 64 falcon!) so I have a general idea of what n where to look, and it seems ok! it rolled real straight w/air press. equal in all tires, gaps were all straight, panels fit great, and the paint was either original, or was done a while ago. I'm a bit nervous of what were gonna find if n when we do carfax it, but considering this thing is gonna be a nice weather everyday car, the fact she's gonna racking up the odometer bothers me more, since it is a "collector" car!So if it has been wrecked, they did a phenomenal job fixing it, and in which case would be a perfect road warrior to drive until the wheels fall off w/o worrying about ruining such a desirable car! But Since this was a concern, I was able to use that as leverage to drop the price some! So unless somebody can just walk up n rip the thing off the wheel, it's probably been popped, and I'd like to find a black one w/the COBRA in the center, if anybody has one, hit me back! I don't like dying these parts, so I'll hold out for a black one! Thanks for the advice guys! (my pro pic is the car!)

And several Chevy's!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Not much of a gamblin man but....

when we went to Indiana to check our new Cobra out, and gave the guy the $, I went out on a limb, and boy, it was worth it! Yessir, she's a certified legitimate COBRA!!!!!! (:happydancer Why she's missing her proper airbag cover still baffles me, (my guess it was the horse, which must look better than the word cobra, and is synonymous with mustang, and a cobra has no horses badged on it, this really looks better I guess?) But, not only did I save some $, but the car's carfax report was excellent and valued the car $240 over top value! ($10,070, n yes, not supercharged), (that also doesn't include the improvements either!) 2 owners, no accidents, and most of the mileage appears to be highway going from Montana, Florida, Colorado, Illinois and eventually Indiana! -In that order! I'm so EXCITED!!! This is my 2nd mustang, 1st convertible, but moreover, my first COBRA!!! I am someone who runs w/a 9sec '55 chevy, but after melting the tires through 4 gears and scarring the new wife for life, I've gotta admit, I'm bitten n smitten!!! Such a killer little road warrior!!! Too bad I'm 6'-5", I'd prefer my first project be something other than fab'n brackets to move the seat further back so I fit in it better! Lol!!! She gets and a in my book!!!

And several Chevy's!!!
Banned
4.6L Member

Giddyup, it was "only a dream" to me when it came out in 96, have had mine since 2001, she's can still rock the street with the best of em!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Morale of the story:

It's worth it to pay the $35 ($50 for a 5 pack) for the carfax! even the best visual inspections never quite put your mind at ease! Who knows, you might even find some pretty cool info you may have never known otherwise! 22nd car, 20th carfax! Worth every dollar every time!!! I think this time I was hesitant cuz I didn't want any bad news, had the thing not been a 3 hr drive, I'd have pulled it BEFORE buying the car! -guess I got lucky @ Indy! If I'm not mistaking, I believe I noticed a carfax app for mobile phones now too! Would've been nice to have had that Tuesday! Either way, thanks for the nudge!

And several Chevy's!!!
Banned
4.6L Member

well somewhere someone changed the airbag...it should say "Cobra" on it, the horse logo came on V6s and GTs...I'm pretty sure that car has been wrecked, it blew the airbag, how else could it be explained?...not all collisions are reported.
GT Member
4.6L Member

What color interior? I may have the correct color Cobra air bag!

1998 SVT Cobra #4941 of 5174 built on June 19,1998
4.30s, Speedcal, WMS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Sniper Tuner, March pulleys, Mac O/R H pipe, Flowmaster orig. 40's, King Cobra clutch, D/S rotors, FRPP 9mm's, Max. Motorsports C/C plates, Termy front control arms, H&R SS springs, MM solid steering rack bushings, Tokico HP struts and shocks, Mac subrames, HID Bi-Xenon 6000k kit, Saleen 18" wheels, Saleen S-281 spoiler, sequential tails
Up Next: Termi diff, 31 spline Axles, LPW girdle, MM LCAs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page