Is the SVT worth it? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
If I had $20k cash just to spend on a car...it would be an 11-14 Coyote.

90lxwhite likes this.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Is the SVT worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
I dunno dude, my current dd is 13 - going on 14 years old ('03 SportTrac Exploder). It's not perfect and needed some maintenance items dealt with not long after got it (brakes, shocks etc) but aside from the same wearing parts a newer vehicle would have I have no issues with it. A lot of that is just luck or educated guesses in selecting a used vehicle that has been well cared for though. The one problem you're sure to have with any older vehicle sooner or later though is "little stuff" like power window motors, some little button somewhere might randomly fall off, etc.

But I get what you're saying. I wouldn't want to dd either of my Mustangs just due to wear n' tear, rock chips on the bumper and hood etc. And it feels more special to drive them the couple times a month that I do than it would if I had seat time everyday.

OP, if you can make the Cobra happen then do it. Try to hang onto your 6'er for the dd and crappy weather stuff, let the Cobra be a weekend toy. Or as another option, since $20K is a bit ridiculous for a 13 year old Mustang you could look into a GT or Mach 1 and put some of the money you saved into making it perform more like a Cobra.

Every time I've gotten a car paid off it's time to put more money into them or give them away as trade, but then again we drive a lot. My wife's 07 expedition has 180k miles on it and she bought it in late 07 with 10k miles on it. I bought a '12 maxima back in February with 35k miles on it and now it has 52k. I wouldn't want to do a "collector car" that way. But mainly I wouldn't want to pay $20k a 13 yr old car when a new one could be had for near the same. Would anyone daily drive an 05 ford gt?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PONY Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I'm crazy but id daily the 05 gt especially with that built 5.4

1997 Mustang Gt auto - White Rose - Custom 2in exhaust with headers and flowmasters and an offroad stock 2.25 in h pipe and custom bent 2.25 catback 3.08 rear end MM caster camber plates installed Kyb gr2s installed Ford racing c springs with polys isos all around SR performance upper and lower poly control arms pi head swap gt500 followers sr cold air intake hand ported stock plenum raxiom smoked halo headlights

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97stangt View Post
I'm crazy but id daily the 05 gt especially with that built 5.4

They're selling for super high now, more than when they were new. But I wonder what an insurance company would value it if it was totaled? Do they take in collectibility and such or just what it's worth new minus milage and age?

PONY Member

Garage
get the cobra you will love it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160811-00338.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	498.6 KB
ID:	542473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160811-00329.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	820.0 KB
ID:	542481  

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Is the SVT worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012bigredstang View Post
get the cobra you will love it

Is an upside down camper and mustang gt the cobra equivalent?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

One problem as I see it is the insurance value for these cars. Just looking at KBB, they value the `03/`04 Cobra at around 18k, & Kelly is known for being generous. Most listings for lower mileage cars are in the mid to high 20`s. To me that means that if you pay the big bucks for a car that is going to be a DD, most insurance companies are not going to value the car for anywhere near what you paid for the car. Now if its going to be a garage queen, the companies like Hagerty or even the major companies will write a specialty policy limiting the miles you can put on it in a year & other things, like the car must be garaged & not street parked etc.

I had "Agreed upon " value on my `99 Cobra from State Farm, but the car had to have collector or antique tags, could not be used as a DD, & had to be garaged. Also, they were only insuring it because we have all our insurance with them. The price was reasonable though, $125 a year, full coverage with a 14k value.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
One problem as I see it is the insurance value for these cars. Just looking at KBB, they value the `03/`04 Cobra at around 18k, & Kelly is known for being generous. Most listings for lower mileage cars are in the mid to high 20`s. To me that means that if you pay the big bucks for a car that is going to be a DD, most insurance companies are not going to value the car for anywhere near what you paid for the car. Now if its going to be a garage queen, the companies like Hagerty or even the major companies will write a specialty policy limiting the miles you can put on it in a year & other things, like the car must be garaged & not street parked etc.

I had "Agreed upon " value on my `99 Cobra from State Farm, but the car had to have collector or antique tags, could not be used as a DD, & had to be garaged. Also, they were only insuring it because we have all our insurance with them. The price was reasonable though, $125 a year, full coverage with a 14k value.

Good answer and explanation. What year was your 99 appraised in? How many years is that $14k value good for? Until you renew the policy?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Good answer and explanation. What year was your 99 appraised in? How many years is that $14k value good for? Until you renew the policy?

The car was originally appraised in 2013 when I bought it. I had to take the car to my agent where they took pictures & looked at it for condition. The policy was renewed yearly until this year when I gave it to my son.

He now has regular plates/insurance on it & uses it as his DD. Because of this the car`s value if totaled/wrecked/stolen is about the same as a regular `99 GT. Maybe a little more, between 6-8k. He plans on keeping it until the wheels fall off.
90lxwhite likes this.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
PONY Member

"Worth" to me implies $$$. Is a Terminator worth it? No. They are selling for $20k or so, and that's nuts. You can buy a Mach 1 for half that money, put a blower kit on it, wipe the floor with the Termi and have $4k still left in your pocket. I've seen that happen.

Having said that, I could listen to that stock Eaton blower whine all day long and never get tired of it.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qing_Long View Post
Hey,

But a friend of mine who happens to be a car guy, said that would be a bad idea because the SVT is designed to be treated as a performance car and thus requires performance level maintenance rather than standard every day maintenance. He suggested I just get the regular V8 GT version. Not quite as powerful, but doesn't need the higher level of maintenance.

You guys would know more than him; is he correct?
Should I just go with the regular GT?
B*LLSH*T!!!! Even the SVT's only need the same love and care as the standard cars. It's not some European exotic that needs "unobtainium" additive for the oil every thousand miles or some other BS. If you take good care of your V6, then the same will apply to the Cobra, only with a supercharger drive belt and IRS.

That being said, my best advise to you is get what you truly WANT. At the end of the day, what do you want in your garage? It is better to spend $40 than waste $20, and to buy a car that you have to convince yourself is really the one you want when deep down you know it isn't is just wasting money as you will no doubt be looking to replace it in a short time. But the Mustang you really want is the one you keep for a lifetime......and just add more to the stable!!! Better to add than replace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page