Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By WonderWarthog
  • 1 Post By WonderWarthog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
98 Radiator

Getting desperate. 98 Cobra with a possible lower hose leak, so decided to replace all since it's 21 yrs old. The vapor tank-to-thermostat isn't available, but can be fabricated. And the thermostat-to-crossover pipe claimed to be a replacement isn't. It's mis-listed by Gates themselves, and the number subsequently quoted by retailers. It's waaay too short. So, returned it without replacing. Refilled and burped.

Pressure test showed problem to be the radiator bleeding down onto the lower hose. Now I can't find a radiator. All the non-racing/plastic tank listings I've found are A/T versions claiming to be compatible. Even though the integrated trans cooler doesn't need to be used, the pipe fittings look as though they'll very likely interfere with the fan shroud mounting. After the discouraging "compatible" experience with the hose search and fail I really don't want to order a "Sure, it fits, even though the car you entered has never had an automatic" just to send it back when it's wrong. LMR, Parts Geeks, Rockauto, American Muscle, Denso, Spectra, etc. all list an automatic version. Ford shows the correct original, but it's discontinued.

Has anyone actually replaced a 98 (or probably a 96-98) Cobra radiator with a stock style, manual transmission version? If so, what was it's part number and where did you get it? The Ford part appears to be F7ZZ-8005-BA (not -AA).
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Here you go..............

1998 Ford Mustang Cobra 4.6 L-V8 281Cid Radiator | Radiator Express

I have always purchased from US Radiator, but when the radiator plastic part began failing on my wifes 97 Cougar Sport (which lasted 17 years with an anode), called them and it's too new of a car and they recommended:

RadiatorExpress
www.radiatorexpress.com
Irvine,CA
866-723-3977

I was very pleased with the product, it was built exactly to the oem specs. What I liked about this place is when I spoke to their support staff, the person I spoke with had definitely experienced getting their hands dirty on a car.......when I asked questions, I got answers....no hesitation. Whit I also liked is they track installation issues that both mechanics & customers have so when you place your order, they order the brand/mfg that has the least amount of reported issues.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Thanks for the response. I'd looked at Radiator Express. The products listed for the 98 Cobra all look good and are priced well. But the only manual version is the all-aluminum 3-row which requires modifications to install. All the rest are automatic trans cooler versions.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderWarthog View Post
Thanks for the response. I'd looked at Radiator Express. The products listed for the 98 Cobra all look good and are priced well. But the only manual version is the all-aluminum 3-row which requires modifications to install. All the rest are automatic trans cooler versions.
Call them...ÖÖ.. otherwise call US radiator..... they typically don't provide for newer cars but they will provide recommendations and who knows, that may be one of the ones they do build

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Went back out to inspect construction to cross-reference fan assemblies. I don't know what I thought I'd seen (on more than one occasion) but there is no shroud. Whereas I'd thought the fans I saw advertised were somehow designed to be a more universal fit while still using the existing shroud, in fact the fan would mount on the driver's side between whatever a/t fittings might exist. So either m/t or a/t will work with this fan style.

Thanks very much for the responses.
Beechkid likes this.

The invisible, the imaginary, and the non-existant look exactly the same.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
To possibly assist someone in the future, final researched Gates hoses:
thermostat to crossover 22561, thermostat to oil cooler 22803
lower rad to thermostat 23250, upper rad to crossover 22449
thermostat to expansion 19825
These are all the right lengths and correctly molded.
-
Radiator part number(s):
1R3Z8005AA, 431396, F7ZH8005AC, F7ZH8005BB, F8ZH8005AA, F8ZZ8005AA
-
Autozone A2139 Duralast O'Reilly 431396 Murray Advance 431396 Carquest
These are all identical, including the likely manufacturer Spectra Premium.
Per Ford:
F7ZZ-8005-BA m/t before 4/28, F8ZZ-8005-AA supposedly a/t and m/t from 4/98. This doesn't mean -AA doesn't fit -BA, just that they changed to that style and number 4/98.
Beechkid likes this.

The invisible, the imaginary, and the non-existant look exactly the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page