2001 3.8 rough idle , miss fire , running lean and loud pinging - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

2001 3.8 rough idle , miss fire , running lean and loud pinging

Ok, so I bought a 2001 5speed 3.8 with 140k miles for cheap because the guy didnt know what was wrong . My dad said immediately the coil pack. We changed it and ran great. Only remaining code was p1518 which was these little bushing for a lever for a valve at high rpms he said .where gonna wait to do that . The car drove great for about 2 months . About a 2 week ago everthing just went to crap. The car miss fires so bad the engine light blinks . It will even stop accelerating for split seconds at times .most if the time it pings loud and drives crummy . Sometimes it seems when I'm almost on an empty tank it runs a little better and the pinging isnt so bad .for about the first 7-10 days there was no new codes. The it got worse So I cleaned the MAF and throttle body, it seemed like it helped for like 50 miles . I do have two new codes for 2 cylinders miss firing now. I reset it and drove for a week I'm gonna re run codes right now to see what I get .
Keep in mind it has new
Coil
Plugs
Air filter
Wires look to be not to old
Cleaned MAF
Cleaned TB
What stumps me is I didnt have new codes tell it got super bad .

Any one have any ideas?
This fuel related since sometimes it runs a little better ? And because the ECU didnt throw a code . My dad was a mechanic a loooonngggg time ago but isnt a pro. Hes stumped as well , he said maby go to junk yard and get a maf and throttle body since the work together with fuel and air.
Please reply or PM with any information.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

I figured out the problem. Cylinder 1 and 2 only have 60lbs of pressure . Cylinder 6 had 180 lbs .. so does anyone have an idea on how much a used engine is if I drop it in vs paying someone to do it.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
Rookie

Garage
new engine vs repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkarasz1988 View Post
I figured out the problem. Cylinder 1 and 2 only have 60lbs of pressure . Cylinder 6 had 180 lbs .. so does anyone have an idea on how much a used engine is if I drop it in vs paying someone to do it.
I blew out my engine a couple years back, my 2000 got a 2001 v6 engine swapped in. The whole job cost me roughly $950. The car had been crashed but the gine was fine. but your seeing close to $1,000 for a new engine in total here in California.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Also try searching car-part.com for salvage yards in your area with parts (whole engines) for sale.

In general, the cost to have a professional install a motor in an old car is likely to exceed the value of the car. The value equation is better IF you are doing the work yourself (free labor).

But be warned. Some times when buying a used motor from a junk yard, well..........it can be junk. Or put in a better way, a core.

So far, I have done (4) salvage yard motor swaps. In one case, I brought home two different motors only to find out on the engine stand that they also had low compression. Obviously it's much better to find out this on the engine stand instead of AFTER it's in the car.

Bottom line is I encourage you to:
  • Check out any used part thoroughly.
  • If you want to put the whole motor into a real car without rebuilding, often it's a better value to spend more for a better donor.
  • The cheapest salvage yard motors are BEST used as cores for a re-build.

Note, don't assume that all V6's are the same. Midway through the 2000 model year, Ford changed the V6 from externally balanced to internally balanced. Mixing and matching parts across this MY boundary could prove costly.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page