1994 3.8 fuel injection questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

1994 3.8 fuel injection questions

I have questions for the experts on fuel injection engines. I am pretty good with carb engines as I have a couple of older cars. But, I've never messed around much with troubleshooting FI engines.

So, two+ years ago, I had 2 blown head gaskets on my 1994 V6, in which I have finally replaced and gotten back together. I babied the car to 220K miles and I wanted to keep it as it's a 5 speed. I had other cars to drive, so it wasn't a top priority. Anyway, it's back together after 2+ years, and it started right up, but it won't stay started. It sputters, and will only stay started if I keep a little pressure on the gas pedal. If not, it will stall every time. And, it takes holding the pedal down for 5 seconds again before it gets started again. But, it will stall again. It feels fuel related like the mixture isn't right. I'm getting a friend of mine's fuel pressure gauge to see what I read on the rail port. Let's say it's high. How do you fix that? Isn't that controlled by the ECU as opposed to an adjustment? Could it be the fuel pressure regulator? If it's low, how do you fix that? Could it be the MAF sensor? Everything seems to be hooked back up properly, vacuum lines, connections, and it was a fairly easy rebuild even if it took a while. So, it probably something simple I'm overlooking.

In any case, I'm looking for a little troubleshooting help so I can get it running. What are the steps? Thanks in advance.

Sutton

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019
GT Member

I suspect you're on the right track, checking fuel pressure. Have you checked for stored codes?

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019
PONY Member

Garage
If you have to open the throttle to keep it running, it sounds like you need more air to keep it going. That indicates you have a choke that's staying closed (which it will until you get to operating temp) or your throttle position sensor is stuck/out of adjustment/not properly connected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page