Ford Mustang Forum banner

1996 3.8 V6 caliper slide bolts

513 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jjccamis 
#1 ·
Recently, I was looking at my brake pads and noticed something unusual about the caliper slide bolts. One of them is a torx head bolt and the other is an allen head socket bolt. Not your normal two 13mm hex bolts. The torx bolt was enclosed in a rubber boot which I ended up tearing to inspect the bolt. Is the boot replacement a relatively straight forward repair? I also understand it takes a specific tool to compress the caliper piston. What has happened to the every day brake pad replacement. Have any of you encountered a similar hardware situation?
JJC

#3 ·
1996 3.8 V6 slide bolts

yes, you are correct in your assumption. I was referring to the front calipers. I still find it highly unusual to have run into the bolts I described earlier. I found this situation on the drivers side calipers and am assuming it will be the same on the passenger side. Good to know that only the rear calipers need the specific piston retractor tool. So, I can use the old C-clamp to retract the pistons on the front? Now, have you ever seen the bolts I described earlier, a torx head and allen head? I think the previous owner may have substituted. What hex bolts should be used for the slide pins? Not quite ready for new pads just yet, but am trying to have all the ducks in a row.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.