Suspect bad gas...Sitting 1 year. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Suspect bad gas...Sitting 1 year.

98 v6. Drove and parked the car last October been sitting ever since. It will turn over like normal (with a jump) but wont start. When I spray a little starting fluid it will run for a couple seconds and shut off. I suspect bad gas in the tank, filter and pump. I expect to change the pump and filter but my question is do I need to drop the tank and drain all the old fuel out? What's my best course of action to take. Open to all suggestions! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019
PONY Member

Garage
There should be no issue with the gas from last October. The fact that it runs with ether says your spark is there, just no fuel. I'd check your fuses and relay (if there is one). There should be a fuel pump test connector near your underhood fuse block so you can see if your pump is working. If you have fuel injection, cycle the ignition switch on for 5 seconds then off for 10 seconds and repeat 3 or 4 times. Then remove the cap from your Schrader valve on your fuel line and depress the valve pin inside. If you get fuel out, your pump is working.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Just wondering. How does the gas smell? How about disconnecting the fuel filter and placing a piece of flexible hose on the fuel filter outlet directed into a container. Cycle the key on/pause/off several times. This will give you TONS of information.

For example. IF there's no gas at all, then you know the fuel pump isn't working for some reason.

IF there is gas in the container, this offers an easy way to inspect the quality of the gas. For example do you see water? How does it look and smell?

Gas would have to be very stale to not "hit" at all.

Here's some information from a recent thread that may give some information regarding how to drain the gas tank.

Looking for help getting my '02 GT Convertible back to life
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...o-life.912857/

Here's some more information that may help.

1996+ Crank with no start check list
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...e.html#2984838

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page