Possible exhaust leak? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Possible exhaust leak?

Hey guys, lately I've been trying to figure out what this noise is from my 2002 mustang v6. You can't really hear it when you first start it, but when it warms up it is really noticeable. While driving, it sounds like it gets faster and louder when I let off the gas, like someone shaking a spray paint can really fast. Any help is appreciated!

1995 thunderbird: WRECKED
new car: 2001 mustang v6
"The First": 1991 mustang lx 2.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.6_thunderbird View Post
Hey guys, lately I've been trying to figure out what this noise is from my 2002 mustang v6. You can't really hear it when you first start it, but when it warms up it is really noticeable. While driving, it sounds like it gets faster and louder when I let off the gas, like someone shaking a spray paint can really fast. Any help is appreciated!
Hmm that doesn't sound like an exhaust leak. An exhaust leak sounds more like a air blowing noise... What you are describing is more like a metal banging noise and could be an exhaust hanger has broke and is rattling. Actually could be a list of things broke or going bad causing the sound. Sounds are one of the hardest things to track down especially over the Internet. Can you post a video so we can hear the sound?

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago
PONY Member

Hard to tell without hearing it first hand, but here is an easy way to check for exhaust leaks:
Get a spray bottle and fill it with dish soap and water. (Heavy on the soap). Set a shop-vac on the "blow" setting. Blow air into your tailpipe (Helps to have a friend hold the hose to your exhaust, or use tape). Spray any suspect areas with your soap and water mixture. Spray joints, couplings, flanges... ect. If you have a leak, you will make a bunch of bubbles where the air is escaping. Good luck!

- Scooter
1968 Mustang. 351w, T-5 Five Speed, 8.8, 3.73 trac lock rear end. Power, four wheel disc brakes, (CSRP up front, 8.8 discs out back) Shelby Drop...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

I just made a video of it, but I can't seem to attach it for some reason. I thought it could be the valves but my friend that put the engine in said they took back out and checked all of that because it was making the noise while he had it at the shop. Plus, I tried some Lucas just to see if it quiets down but it didn't. And the car doesn't run rough or back fires. It drives normal with no sort of hesitation. I will do the soapy water idea this weekend. Thank you!

1995 thunderbird: WRECKED
new car: 2001 mustang v6
"The First": 1991 mustang lx 2.3
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 3 Days Ago
GT Member

Could be a loose heat shield. Easy fix with a large hose clamp.

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 9 Hours Ago
PONY Member

Garage
May not be the exhaust. However, I would stop past a local muffler/exhaust shop and let them have a look at it. I took my daughter's car to one last week, because I couldn't find the leak. It was a rusted section near a connection to the resonator. He cut out the rusted section and welded in a new one. Cost me $50.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page