Weird mustang issues - won't start - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pete Grimaldi

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Weird mustang issues - won't start

Hello all!

I don't even know where to start in trying to fix my poor car. So any help would be a god send!

I have a 2000 manual v6 mustang.

Fun symptoms:

1. Occasionally when you try to start it, accessories will turn on, then when you go to turn it over, there is a loud click then nothing. If you try to turn it on again, there are no accessories and no click.

2. If you let it sit with the battery attached, after about 15/20 min you can get accessories back and get that single click again.

3. If you detach the battery and let it sit, you can usually reattach the battery after 15 min and it'll start. If it doesn't and you take the battery out to be charged at Auto zone, they will judge you cause it's already at 70/80% but if you get it back up to 100% then it will definitely start.

4. There is definitely stuff drawing power and I did a fuse test thingy. It's the Alternator, radio, and instrument cluster/pcm are the big ones, and the secondary air intake is drawing a little bit but I don't think that's anything.

Previously I have replaced the starter (actually twice this year) and the alternator and the fuse box.

I realize the pcm is probably the thing that's doing something funky here but I'm not sure what to look for or how to fix it. I'm not seeing anything grounding out.

If you have absolutely any suggestions I'll try it.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019
Rookie

Hello Avaliyn,
I'm going to admit up front that I don't think I'll be any help. However, I'm suffering a similar issue with a 2007 Avalanche so I feel your pain.
Have you searched for 'parasitic draw'? I found a few threads in this forum related to such battery drains. Do you have an aftermarket radio? Maybe an aftermarket add on installation has something amiss?
I hope you get some good input. Electrical gremlins are no fun. Good luck!

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

It could be the ignition switch. It might not be disengaging completely even though you take the key out. I'm just guessing and suggesting. Or is your brake pedal sticking? Is it keeping the brake lights on after you turn the car off? Check that too.

Pete
Poncho Villa likes this.

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page