Lights wiring problems, and other. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Lights wiring problems, and other.

Hello, I'm having a bit of trouble with my mustang's lights. Let me start from the beginning...
I began having some problems with start up and tracked it down to the fuel pump(s) electrical system. I tested all the individual components and they all test fine, but as a system whole, the fuel pump fails to get power. I registered on justanswers.com and a mechanic on there told me it is the inertia switch, which tested out OK. He also gave me a compete wiring diagram for my car (1985 3.8L) After studying this problem for awhile, I have come to the conclusion it is the wiring itself. I have yet to find the problem as while tracing the lines, I managed to knock loose a few other wires which control the lights. My question today is, there is the brown wire that comes off the light switch that came loose and has no metal connector on the end, just bare wire. Can anyone tell me, or better yet, show me (pictures), where this connects to. Currently I only have the marker lights when the switch is on. I have to use my high beam switch and hold it pulled back to get lights. And flashers work. But the break lights and headlights do not come on when I pull the switch. Its a pretty short wire and according to the diagram, it connects to the whole line of brown wiring for the whole light system. I hope this is enough information to get help and I am thankful for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019
Rookie

Garage
In later years the brown wire coming off the switch is a common wire that powers the chime (shut off the engine with headlights still on and you hear a signal), clock, etc. Do they work when you pull the switch? But going by what you're saying, if you have to physically pull on the switch to get any lights, it sounds like your switch itself could be the problem.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

The marker lights work when the switch is pulled, but not the tail lights or the headlights. I think the switch is ok, and when I pull the high beams lever, all four lights light up and when I push on the brakes the brake lights light up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page