O2 Sensor Help - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Question O2 Sensor Help

I need to replace my O2 Sensor, so I jacked up my car got underneath predicting this would be very simple and easy to complete. My problem is I don't know which sensor is actually the O2 sensor, I did not realize there was going to be more then one sensor that looks very similar and near each other, im guessing the other ones are temperature and cooling sensors mabey? If at all possible could some of you guys please try to explain to me which sensor is the O2 one? I would really appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003
V6 Member

Your car has 4 O2 sensors, DG. You have to find out which one needs replaced.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

damn, i didn't know that, can i tell just by looking at them after i take it out which one went out?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003
V6 Member

No, your car needs a diagnostic run on it to find out which one it is or if one of them is bad at all.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003

If you are going to replace 1 you should go ahead and replace all 4 that way you wont have to do it later. and be shure to get all 4 the same brand if you go with Bosch that is good, Denso is making them now and if you wnat toget some cheap ones for about $50 ea at Schucks or Kragin auto parts
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

i did get bosch. only one though...

Here's what originally happened:

1st) of all im an idiot to ever trust O'riely's. I bought some AC Delco plugs there and was going to simply replace my plugs, no biggie. I noticed when they gave me them, the threads was abit longer then the original, just abit.. I said to them these are different, they said no, look what my computer sais, i replied ok...

2) I Replace my plugs with these ones. start my car, to find it sounding like it's missing. It was actually fine before i changed them. Then I realized these plugs have to be wrong. I called my dad he said, yes the threads have to be the exact same length, so im pissed off, go back to o-riely's and ***** them out for giving me wrong plugs, they replace them for free. I Put the new ones in, praying it all runs just fine. IT DOES NOT. runs the exact same...

3) I check the gap on the plugs, the wires three times to see if i somehow hooked them in wrong, and about 99% sure i have compression... So im worried now... i call 2 different parts store, they both thought it would be my oxygen sensor, an also my check engine light is on, another good indication. So i run and pick up one o2 sensor... Can i just simply try the new one in each different sensor until i find it running smooth again? Right now im on abit of a tight budget, i can't really afford to 150$ more or sensors, I mean surely this would work right??? 1 Bosch, 3 stock?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003
V6 Member

I think you still have a plug problem. See, in 2002, Ford mysteriously changed the V6 spark plug, and then went back to the plug they were using for the 99-01 cars in 2003. Maybe they gave you the 2002 plug. Screw O'Reilly's and go to NAPA. Also, I'd suggest you use Autolite or NGK rather than AC's.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003

Yes Ford uses Bosch as a factory O2 sensor , but to find out which o2 sensor is bad you need to go have a running diegnostic done to find out what the o2 sensors are reading Lean or rich, they can pinpoint the sensor but the front two sensors are heated and the rear two are just open/closed loop sensors telling if the cat is working or not.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003

You can get some realy bozo's no matter which parts store you go to. I go to an Autozone that has some pretty good people working there and even then run into a few problemos.

Also at Autozone you can have them check your codes to see what is what. I usually ask to have it done, most of the time they just grab the tester and go out and check it....every once in a while I get one of the "Pros" they attempt to explain to me that a 95 does not have OBD II because it did not become a standard until 96.

Mine is reading both sensors on the passengers side right now. Guess I have some work to do also.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Now I'm really confused:

I brought my friend over last night who knows alot about cars, and builds them all the time... 1st) thing, he looked at my plugs and said the new AC's i bought should actually work, true the thread was abit longer, but that was the only difference, he seemed to think it shouldn;t matter.

How could my car be messing up?!!? All I did was change my plugs...
I'm totaly clueless now, he didn't seem to think it would be the O2 sensor, but he wasn't for sure what would be wrong either... I'm pretty sure there is a problem with number 6. When we took the plug out of this distributer on all other cylinders, it bogged down like it sould, but NOT number 6... Im worried now... This does not make sense, i dont think i've ever been so frustrated with my car... I will probably end up taking it to the dealership, but man it pisses me off when i can;t actually do something myself like this, that should be fairyl easy...

Also Im pretty sure the plugs are right, the second time we got actually did get autolites, because it was the exact same as original... THanks for any help given, appreciate it...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

hmm, i just thought of something else, two days before i changed the plugs, I put my MAC CAI in... It was running prefect... Do you think there could be some kind of problem with that?
V6 Member

Unless you damaged the MAF when installing the CAI, it shouldn't cause a problem.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

sorry i know ask alot of questions, but if it was tha MAF, how would it act???

Just a thought but how old are the plug wires?

Bogging down on the rest but runs the same when nbr 6 cylinder is disconnected says something.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

brand new MSD wires, I wondered if they could have been defective too for some odd reason, and tried my old stock wires, and had the same problem... Im trying one last thing before taking it to the shop. I think monkey boy is right, there has to be a plug problem still, only makes sense. I talked to a friend who works at a Ford dealership this evening and he told me he's had a few cases we're someone has put AC Delco's or something like that for ex. in and had similar problems, he told me sometimes cars will act weird with any plug you throw at it except for the original, so I will try motorcraft plugs for my year, and pray that works. i doubt it will though, seems to easy...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page