no spark 1998 mustang - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

no spark 1998 mustang

have 1998 mustang with spark problem 2 cilinders do not fire. checked coil also not firing on 2 cilinders. borroved my friends coil and got the same thing but they both work on his car. Question is where is the spark regulater or whatever it is called and how do i check it? my friend said there is a spark regulater or something on the firewall but he isen't sure.:?:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010
Apprentice
V6 Member

First I would check the wiring to the coil pack and see if its faulty.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Which cylinders are not firing?

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

98 mustang

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on the spark problem it is # 2 & 6 cylinders two center coils on the coil pack 3.8 v6 wires ok also. cam position sensor is ok also. I don't know how to test the the ignition control module although i did find it inside the fender and fender wall. In guess i will try to test the brain next do you know how to do that?

Thanks for your info on that hi output fuel pump for my 98 is the only year you have to make som adjustments to get it to fit. Allis well with that now Thanks
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

V6 cylinders 2/6 do share a coil pack section. Since the coil pack is good, we should focus on the things that could affect 2 and 6.

Double check the spark plug wires and plugs. Many ppl do not realize that a grounded plug or plug wire will also affect it's twin.

Next check the low voltage coil pack connector. Is it clean and corrosion free? Pay special attention to the T/LG wire.

Next get a set of "noid" style test lights. They can be rented from your local autoparts store. Use the noid tester to confirm if there is a firing pulse coming from the PCM on the T/LG wire. If no pulse, then there is a wiring harness problem from the coil pack to the PCM or the coil driver in the PCM is bad.

Recommend performing a visual inspection of the PCM itself. Often a blown coil dirver is obvious. This will also offer a change to inspect the PCM electrical connector.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

98 cyl 2&6

Thanks forallthe info will go buy new plugs and wires first have 90 thousand miles on car everything but tires original any uggestion on plug and wire type or brand?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

be sure to follow wmburns' advice on checking the connector to the coil pack and the wiring harness to the pcm

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuited View Post
Thanks forallthe info will go buy new plugs and wires first have 90 thousand miles on car everything but tires original any uggestion on plug and wire type or brand?
"upgrade" plugs won't get you anything (trust me, I bought into the hype when I was first modding and get Bosch Platinum +4 (4 tips)... they did nothing! ) Just get a reliable brand (NGK, Autolite, Champion) and make sure they are gapped properly for your car (.054"). Copper plugs are for racing (change often), platinum will be good for a daily driver (change every 30k miles), iridiums last the longest (close to 60k miles).

As far as wires, anything 8-8.5mm diameter will work: just stick with stock replacement. You could upgrade, but I'm not sure what that will get you (if anything). Others: please chime in!

FLASH = 98 V6, chrome yellow, black & blue accents, 146k daily driver
POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page