2000 3.8L Mustang-belt tensioner bolt Right or Left handed? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

2000 3.8L Mustang-belt tensioner bolt Right or Left handed?

Replacing my tensioner assy and can not break the bolt loose. Is it right handed or left? I sprayed it with PB a half hour ago and searched this forum for tensioner. Seems the question was asked several times but never really answered. Please save me from snapping it off..........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010
Rookie

I have a 1996 with a 3.8 and when I was removing the pully it felt like it was getting tighter so I tested the other direction and sure enough it was left hand threads and came loose. Turning clockwise will loosen it.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Correct. It is reverse threaded.....

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

I appreciate the responses but just wanted to verify what you were removing. The pulley and it had left hand threads, or the whole assembly? I am trying to remove the tensioner assembly that the pulley is mounted to. It is a #55 torx bolt that goes through the pivot point for the assembly.

Last edited by Dfrnt; 10-24-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011
Rookie

Help - Belt tensioner

My G/F has a 1994 and the belt fell off, it had a bad idle wheel.
Anyway, I replaced the wheel, the new one is steel and a bit bigger, old was plastic, I can't seem to get the tensioner loose.

I read on this forum that it takes a #55 Torx, so I bout one, and reefed on it (getting maybe a 1/4 - 1/2 turn, now the Torx is bent.

Also they said the threads are reversed (left-hand) so I was turning clockwise.

What is the secret to loosening this tensioner, or putting the belt on???

HELP!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011
Rookie
V6 Member

The tensioner arm is not reverse threaded, only the tension wheel bolt. The Tensioner arm requires a 55 Torx bit and I would suggest a breaker bar. This bolt is standard threaded so pull to the left.

I just did mine this weekend and I had to just apply constant pressure to the bolt until it started to give. You will know that you are doing it right when you hear the nice loud squeal of the metal rubbing together. I thought I was going to snap my breaker bar, but I finally got it. What ever you do, don't yank and release or you may snap it. Apply steady pressure.

'95 V6 Coupe - Ultra White
FRPP Trac-lok, 4.10 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page