V6 Bone Stock thinking NOS Sniper - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

V6 Bone Stock thinking NOS Sniper

Ok so I searched and searched and searched some more. I believe I am very well informed with Nitrous now. I was thinking about getting the NOS 07005 Sniper setup that goes for about 300-375 bucks online for my bone stock 98 V6 Mustang. I guess putting in a window switch from NOS is gonna be mandatory for me also because I don't want to break anything. Just looking for a lil boost sometimes out on the country roads.
The switch they sell seems to do everything that is needed for safety, it limits on lower RPMs and high end RPMs I also believe it helps with controlling shift so as not to be boosting during shift.
I figure the 75 max shot this system comes with is safe for my vehicle under rare usage and will probably get a heater not yet sure which one... to keep pressure optimal.
However, I am concerned with some of the other safety issues...
I read that I should go at least one if not two steps colder on the plugs with copper and what not and "retard" the engine timing back a little; a degree or two I believe. I have no idea how to "retard" the timing:?: but am sure I can purchase colder plugs and install them. I reallly would like to do this tune and install if possible in my own garage.
I suppose that's enought to start with so let's see if I can get some feedback and we will go from there.
Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
sounds liek youve done your research!

warmer, and wondow switch are a must, also a Dyno tune to be sure. dont get greedy

post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Do you have to dyno tune or is there another way?

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
you dont have to... some places give generic ones. but id rather have one for security and peace of mind
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

It is a power-adder. Get a tune!!!!!!!!!

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010
GT Member
V6 Member

+1 on the tune -- and that's how you'll "retard" the timing. A dyno tune shouldn't be too expensive, probably only take an hour of your time.

FLASH = 98 V6, chrome yellow, black & blue accents, 146k daily driver
POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Ok guys thanks. What I am thinking is why do I need a tune for my car if I am only going to boost it 1 or 2 times a week? If it is not armed a majority of the time won't a tune for the nitrous not be optimal for my daily driving which will be most of the time. I mean do they load seperate tunes and I switch when I am ready for nitrous?.... Seems bothersome. Couldnt I just get a diablo or sct tuner or similar and do the same things or does the car need a dyno and then loaded onto one of those tuners? Is that not what the BAMA guys from Amuscle do? I am just lost when it comes to this tuning thing. Let's go from there thanks.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010
Banned
V6 Member

cause 1 youll do it more

and 2
itl go boom with no tune...the first time
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010
Site Sponsor

The tune for your car is going to make a huge difference. Like night/day difference.

It all depends on whether it's a wet or dry shot. The wet shot is going to take care of the additional fuel, where the dry shot would require some tuning in order to richen the air/fuel mixture at WOT during nitrous operation.

As for timing, anything 75 shot or above is going to require timing to be retarded in the tune. Anything 100 shot or over is going to require a step colder plug. I'm not at all saying to stay away from nitrous, but I am saying that the tune is going to be necessary for most kits that make decent power.

Chris Rose | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Need help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Well I am 100% positive that I was going to tune the car after the install my only problem was the type of tune I guess?:?:
Can you tune in your own garage with hand tools?
Will the Tuners sold at American Muscle for instance suffice?
Do you need to Dyno?
Or do you need a Tuner and Dyno?

Maybe I was misunderstood. I meant that if I go a whole month not boosting the NOS, and say my timing was "retarded", and my plugs were colder, would'nt this make my car run funny because it would be tuned for NOS? U understand my thinking?

Thanks alot guys, I am definately going this route and ur help is much appreciated.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynitababy View Post
Well I am 100% positive that I was going to tune the car after the install my only problem was the type of tune I guess?:?:
Can you tune in your own garage with hand tools?
Will the Tuners sold at American Muscle for instance suffice?
Do you need to Dyno?
Or do you need a Tuner and Dyno?

Maybe I was misunderstood. I meant that if I go a whole month not boosting the NOS, and say my timing was "retarded", and my plugs were colder, would'nt this make my car run funny because it would be tuned for NOS? U understand my thinking?

Thanks alot guys, I am definately going this route and ur help is much appreciated.
Most people get 2 tunes for daily drivers. 1 for the street, and 1 for the nitrous..... A good dynotuner will tune your car for the 1 step colder plug needed for the street, then he will pull some timing and give you a nitrous tune. You just need to remember not to run the nitrous on the street tune.

I just did the '01 with 1 tune, and adjusted my nitrous/fuel pills accordingly.....

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

AHHH ok.... So will I need a chip or tuner to put these codes on or can a dyno shop burn this info into my computer? Prolly need a chip huh?
What if I just ran preloaded codes and the Bama Tunes prolly not as good but would it be ok?
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynitababy View Post
AHHH ok.... So will I need a chip or tuner to put these codes on or can a dyno shop burn this info into my computer? Prolly need a chip huh?
What if I just ran preloaded codes and the Bama Tunes prolly not as good but would it be ok?
OK, I think some terminology will help:
A tuner is the person who actually makes the computer codes - called tunes.
A handheld or programmer is a device that can load the tunes into your car's computer. Most often they can also read/clear CEL (check engine light) or MIL (malfunction indicator light) errors, and some can even datalog info from your car.
A chip is a very basic computer chip with just the tune(s) on it.

A dyno shop is run by a tuner (physical being) who will use a computer (actual desktop computer)/ data logger and the dyno to read your car and fine-tune the computer tune. Then they will connect the computer to your car's computer (ECU) and download the tune. They could also use a handheld for this step. You could also bring in your own handheld to use, but they either have to know its programming language or have compatible software on their desktop computer. Visiting a dyno shop is often a final step once the whole engine is complete.

The handheld is a little more versatile, and ordering one from AM is a great idea! The BAMA tuners are very knowledgeable guys, and as long as you give them all the right info, they will make a great tune for you. It will be very powerful and 100%. Will they get every last ounce of power out of your combo? No, 'cause they can't physically have your car. But they will get pretty darn close.

FLASH = 98 V6, chrome yellow, black & blue accents, 146k daily driver
POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear
Redlyr

Just an addendum to Silver J. Bama does offer Nitrous tunes for 91 octane.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Thanks to all. I feel like a freakn expert now!
I'm thinking 4 bank SCT chip, Bama tune for nitrous. Affordability, practicality!

As i said previously no mods str8 stock! Since i plan on doing more mods in the future am i right to hold off on the dyno tune for a lil while:?: I think so.

Also; what's up with the chip vs programmer? Can I remove the rev and top speed limiters with the chip? Is it sensible to get the chip if I will be getting more mods?

My final goal is something basic like a 75 shot nitrous, CAI, T-Lok and gears, Underdrive pulley and other minor things. Biggest work will be the nitrous and thats it. I'll wait to get a V8 before i put any more than that into it. ie. Turbo, Supercharger, Engine internals

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page