2004 Mustang V6 - Needing New Exhaust - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

2004 Mustang V6 - Needing New Exhaust

I need new exhaust. I have a shop looking at it at the moment. They called me and said they could do a MAC stainless exhaust for $589. It's not true dual, it's just from the mid-pipe back. My question is is it worth it? That MAC system looks like its completely bolt on, which I know would be difficult to install without a lift, but couldn't I do that myself? It seems to me that I would just be paying someone to bolt some stuff on my car... That being said, I would also like to change over to true dual in the near future. Would I be able to just get a mid-pipe and headers and get those put on and maintain this new stuff? I'm sure I left some info out, but I would realy like some guidance. What is everyone's suggestions?

2004, Competition Orange, V6 coupe
GO: BBK CAI, MAC Performance SS fake dual; long tubes, high flow cats, and an H-pipe up next. Then, T-LOC, 4.10 gears and a tuner.
SHOW: HID Smoke headlights and fog lights, medium tint all around. Flat black wheels, when I find them.

1995, Silver, V6 Coupe. R.I.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010
NBK
PONY Member

I would do the exhaust myself, its a very easy thing to do.

NaturalBornKillers.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

How would I connect to the existing? What would I need? I haven't had a chance to stick my head under there to see what's there, but I can do so tonight. Also, how long would that take (without a lift)?

GO: BBK CAI, MAC Performance SS fake dual; long tubes, high flow cats, and an H-pipe up next. Then, T-LOC, 4.10 gears and a tuner.
SHOW: HID Smoke headlights and fog lights, medium tint all around. Flat black wheels, when I find them.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010
NBK
PONY Member

Well, im not fimilliar with the mac v6 kit but if its a full bolt on setup it should give you everything you need. I did my catback with a jack and jackstands in about 2 hours taking our time on it.

NaturalBornKillers.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Also, I was looking on the MAC site and I was wondering if the catback exhaust (item number TK3849) was all stainless or if just the tip was... it doesnt really matter if the tips are stainless if the muffler and down tube is going to rust out...

And another thing, I'm not set on MAC, I am completely up for suggestions.

Thanks NBK, and anyone else who responds.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

dont get a catback that bolts to the y-pipe it offers little to no gain all you get is sound difference.. either modify your current midpipe or get a new one and a GT style cat-back with chambered mufflers

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

What does everyone think of the Pypes brand? What brands are better than others?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

i like their mufflers.. their kits are a little inconsistent.. some people end up with lots of problems/leaks,rattles. and some people either just don't notice or don't have issues

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstang690 View Post
i like their mufflers.. their kits are a little inconsistent.. some people end up with lots of problems/leaks,rattles. and some people either just don't notice or don't have issues
+1 However, Pypes is the only company that makes a full kit (with an X-pipe, at that). You can buy all the parts from MAC, but not a kit. They are trying to leave it open so you can get just the midpipe (H-style) from them and GT take-offs separately.

The MAC kit (TK3849) you asked about is only stainless tips.

A catback is simple enough to do by yourself. Make sure you have PB blaster or other lubricant for the bolts. They are notorious for being incredibly stuck.

What all needs replacing on your exhaust? There may be cheaper or easier way to repair. What are you looking for with the exhaust? Low cost, sound, loudness, or power?:?:

FLASH = 98 V6, chrome yellow, black & blue accents, 146k daily driver
POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

I haven't had a chance to look under there yet, but according to the shop that looked at it, it needs to be replaced from the Y back. He said there was a glass pack welded in, but it and the rest was rusted out. I figure it's a good opportunity to replace it all anyway. I think I am most interested in the sound, followed closely by cost. I would like to pick a brand that will allow me to switch over to an H-pipe in the near future, and preferably long tube headers (by the way is it worth it to get new headers? long, short, does it matter?). MAC was the only company I have seen that offers long tube headers, so that why I am leaning that direction... Thoughts?

GT Member
V6 Member

Honestly, the H-pipe would just be for sound. The best performance would be any true dual exhaust -- either a midpipe or divorced.

IMHO: since you only have to replace the back half of the exhaust, I would have the shop cut each side of the exhaust right after the cats, removing the restrictive Y-pipe and the rusted tailpipe. Then have them weld on two mufflers of your choice and two ends (turndowns, side, or rear exits).

LTs (long-tube headers) are a separate subject, but definitely worth it. Depending on your budget, it would be easier to do all at once if you can afford it...

POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

I am looking for the sound, it's a V6, it's raspy already... and I was hoping to do the whole thing myself, no shop. Considering my budget, I think I am just going to go with a system from the converter back and add the H-pipe later. I know it will be a little more costly over all, but I have to do something now, and can only afford the converter back...

So, what would be the easiest brand to work with and to go back later and add on? I saw the MAC was all bolt together flanges, and I noticed that Pypes doesnt have an H-pipe, I haven't looked into too many other brands; suggestions?

In case anyone was wondering, it turns out, the guy who had it before me had a glass pack welded in. The rear weld rusted out and the tip wasn't connected to the muffler. I went with the MAC system because they have an H-pipe and long tube headers. Besides the Ford dealer not getting me the parts I needed, the exhaust went together really easily. I have everything but the tips on now (waiting on the remaining Ford parts), and it sounds pretty good. Thanks for the help, if I remember, I'll check back when I get the headers and H-pipe on.

Last edited by Snackmaster; 02-02-2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: merged back to back posts
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

a quick video would be cool

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
GT Member
V6 Member

.....Annnnd - he's back! LOL

But really, nice job on the exhaust! So let me get this right: you have long-tubes, to the H-pipe, then MAC mufflers, and tailpipes? SWEET!

+1 on a video...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page