2000 Mustang V6 Overheating no hot air! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

2000 Mustang V6 Overheating no hot air!

I've got a 2000 3.8L mustang w/186,000 miles. This morning, I warmed the car up like normal and noticed it was a bit hotter than when I'm usually ready to go (but not up to normal temp). Had the defroster on and windows were still frosted. About 3 miles away, I realizes the car was only blowing out cold air, no heat at all. A few miles later, it began overheating so I pulled over and had it towed home. There is no coolant leaking from anywhere and the coolant hoses are warm and under pressure. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010
Rookie
V6 Member

Have you checked the fluid level? My first guess would be that the level has gotten too low, and air has gotten into your system.

This just happened to my wife's van, and I had to bleed the system this weekend. Now it works fine.

------------------------------------------
2004 V6 Coupe
CAI & full dual exhaust
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yea, coolant level is perfect, just had a flush about 3 months ago. My bf thinks its air in the system but just wanted to get some other ideas of what it could be just in case. We are gunna flush it again tonight and see.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

The V6 WILL overheat if the coolant re-fill procedures are not followed and all air is removed. If there is any air trapped inside the motor, this will block the flow of coolant and delay the t-stat from opening.

Did you open the engine coolant vent and check for any trapped air (engine cold)?

Also, check for a bad water pump as a possible source of air in the cooling system. Bad head gaskets are another possible source.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

It could be low on coolant, or the thermostat is stuck. If the system was flushed 3 months' ago and has not been a problem, it is not air in the system. Bleed the system, but I don't think that's the problem. Also, check for proper antifreeze/water mixture. It could be the pump as wmburns stated above.....

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks everyone! Turned out to be a combination of slushy coolant, a frozen hose, and air in the system. It's all fixed and I'm back to drivin my baby
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010
GT Member
V6 Member

If your coolant was slushy, that means you had too much water and it froze. You really should be at a 50/50 mix of coolant & water in the wintertime!

I buy the premixed stuff for winter cuz it's easier...

FLASH = 98 V6, chrome yellow, black & blue accents, 146k daily driver
POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page