Auto Swap to a t5 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Auto Swap to a t5

i buddy of mine is sellin me a world class t5 for very cheap. nothing is wrong with it..he is selling the tranny, pedal, cables, and the ecu. what elce would i need.. and it is coming from a 3.8 and mine is a 3.9.. will this work? i dont the the ecu will.. or pcm w/e u call it. and how hard is the swap?

04 v6 conv. Drag radials,AM cai, Bamma Tuned with a SCT SF3, pypes x pipe, american thunder cat backs.
If you are looking to make some extra money click the link below to see how.
http://JAMartin.emcode.clicksurecpa.com[/url]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010
PONY Member

I'm actually about to start this swap in a couple days, I just bought a parts car with with a manual so that I will have most of the little misc. parts. The directions I am linking here tell you all the parts you need... I think. From what I understand, it takes about 16 hours of wrench time, for me that means about 25 since I work so slow. http://www.westcoastmustangs.com/art...wap/t5swap.doc If you don't mind, I'd like to append to your question by asking: Which parts MUST be new and which can be reused from a car that you are stripping parts off of?

'95 GT 'Vert with a 331, BBK equal length headers, bbk offroad xpipe, Flowmastermufflers, K&N CAI, Mac UD pulleys, Edelbrock RPM II upper and lower intake, AFR 185 heads, comp cams XE 274 HR cam shaft........364 rwhp, 370 rwtq
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

lol well that was gonna be my next question.. but i wanna know if this world class will fit my 3.9 more than anything ha. and the ecu or pcm is off of a 3.8.. will it work on my 3.9? i wanna know this before anything elce

04 v6 conv. Drag radials,AM cai, Bamma Tuned with a SCT SF3, pypes x pipe, american thunder cat backs.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

it shouldnt matter.. .1 liters is really tiny especially when distributed over 6 cylinders... so an educated guess would be that it is small enough of a difference that the engine can adjust

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

ok swett.. just wanna make sure that everythign will mount right.. and i wann aknow if this is everything i will need or what elce?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

flywheel for your year engine , clutch if he doesnt include that.. wiring harness for manual transmission.. possibly a shifter boot, knob, and bezel

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

There are a couple things in the article he missed. You will need new(longer) flywheel bolts because the flexplate bolts are too short. You will need a new front driveshaft yoke from a T5/C4 because The AOD(E)/4R70W's use a larger yoke that will not fit into a T5/C4 casing. Make sure if you purchase a flywheel, that it is neutral balanced for your motor.....

Other than that, it's not a fun job by any means. It's fairly straight forward and simple if you have the tools and a lift.....

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerstang View Post
There are a couple things in the article he missed. You will need new(longer) flywheel bolts because the flexplate bolts are too short. You will need a new front driveshaft yoke from a T5/C4 because The AOD(E)/4R70W's use a larger yoke that will not fit into a T5/C4 casing. Make sure if you purchase a flywheel, that it is neutral balanced for your motor.....

Other than that, it's not a fun job by any means. It's fairly straight forward and simple if you have the tools and a lift.....
I'm guessing you've done it before right? What makes it suck so bad if it's straight forward? Just heavy lifting or what?

'95 GT 'Vert with a 331, BBK equal length headers, bbk offroad xpipe, Flowmastermufflers, K&N CAI, Mac UD pulleys, Edelbrock RPM II upper and lower intake, AFR 185 heads, comp cams XE 274 HR cam shaft........364 rwhp, 370 rwtq
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtbeenr View Post
I'm guessing you've done it before right? What makes it suck so bad if it's straight forward? Just heavy lifting or what?
It's not rocket science to do it, it's just a PITA to do. Who wants to lay on their back under the dash trying to get the brake pedal assembly out? We have a lift and a transmission jack, so it's not difficult for us to do. Laying on your back in a garage is a bit more tricky......

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerstang View Post
It's not rocket science to do it, it's just a PITA to do. Who wants to lay on their back under the dash trying to get the brake pedal assembly out? We have a lift and a transmission jack, so it's not difficult for us to do. Laying on your back in a garage is a bit more tricky......
Ah... yeah. Not looking forward to it. I'm gonna start on Tuesday.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

he is including everything u listed but the fly and thoes bolts? where can i get a fly and bolts? i dont know crap ab trannys so if i say something thats wrong plz dont make fun :p lol

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40th annv. View Post
he is including everything u listed but the fly and thoes bolts? where can i get a fly and bolts? i dont know crap ab trannys so if i say something thats wrong plz dont make fun :p lol
autoparts store or online, for a stock replacement, or get an aluminum flywheel somewhere online

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page