Transmission problem - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

Transmission problem

Hello to all,
In the process of changing the tranny. filter when I pulled the pan off there is a white plastic mushroom shaped piston lying in the bottom of the pan. I can't, try as I might, see where it came from. Please does anybody know where it came from?

Many thanks,

Steve.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Just leave it out. It doesn't go to anything. That was put there so Ford knew which transmissions were serviced, and which were not. It was for warranty purposes only......

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

Er... thanks, Admitedly Ford do on ocasions do some weird things but on an implausability scale of 1-10 that's an 11.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused View Post
Er... thanks, Admitedly Ford do on ocasions do some weird things but on an implausability scale of 1-10 that's an 11.
so.. are you saying you dont believe shinerstang?

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Actually it is an pre-assembly oil dip stick plug. The transmission is built in a different factory. It is shipped without the transmission dip stick in place. The plastic thing that looks like a fishing bobber keeps the debris out during storage/transport.

When the car is assembled, the dip stick is inserted pushing the plug into the pan.

The plug doesn't hurt anything. Simply throw it away.

Now, if you find the plug in the pan, this likely means that the transmission has never been serviced.

Does that help/make sense?

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

It would be fair to say that I am sceptical.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

Ar, er, OK now that it's explained that way I can see it. Certainly explains why I can't find any place for it to go!
I would like to offer my unreserved apologies to shinerstang and my thanks to wmburns for explaining it in a way I understood.
I truly hope that my earlier comments did not cause to much offence, chalk it down to a frustrating day and not getting to watch the football.
Steve.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

dont worry about it.. shinerstang is one of the most experienced v6 racers/builders here

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmburns View Post
Actually it is an pre-assembly oil dip stick plug. The transmission is built in a different factory. It is shipped without the transmission dip stick in place. The plastic thing that looks like a fishing bobber keeps the debris out during storage/transport.

When the car is assembled, the dip stick is inserted pushing the plug into the pan.

Now, if you find the plug in the pan, this likely means that the transmission has never been serviced.

+1 I found the same assembly plug when I just changed my tranny filter at 120k miles (I know, I know - shame on me!). It's not needed.

FLASH = 98 V6, chrome yellow, black & blue accents, 146k daily driver
POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmburns View Post

And there you have it. Ford used to use that as an excuse for warranty work......

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

Thanks very much guys, I can put the pan back on now and hope I've got third gear.

I promise in future to do my best to try and make sure my brain is engaged before putting my mouth (or fingures) in gear.

Steve.
Rookie

I just went through the same thing with the plastic plug in the pan while I was doing a strainer & fluid change on my daughters car. I am not finished yet because of the rain. She has been having a problem with her third gear shifting. Did it help your third gear? And thanks to those who explained the plug ordeal. It was very helpful for those of us that don't normally mess with transmissions.
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty&jennifer View Post
I just went through the same thing with the plastic plug in the pan while I was doing a strainer & fluid change on my daughters car. I am not finished yet because of the rain. She has been having a problem with her third gear shifting. Did it help your third gear? And thanks to those who explained the plug ordeal. It was very helpful for those of us that don't normally mess with transmissions.
Shifting is usually indicated by which gear to which gear, like 2-3 shift (2nd gear to 3rd gear upshift) or 3-2 shift (3rd to 2nd gear downshift). So which shift is she having problems with?

Also, problems with one shift are most likely NOT due to the fluid or filter. The internals of the transmission are responsible for the shifts, so it's possible that a band, spring, or other piece is worn out. Again, if you find out which shift(s) is bad, we can help you trouble shoot. :smoke:

Best advice: finish the filter & fluid change, put it back together and see if the problem persists.

POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
Rookie

Second to third upshift. Sorry, wasn't thinking. On my Ford Taurus I used to have, I had the same problem except it was the downshift & it was a broken sensor. I don't know. I don't usually work on transmissions. I have only rebuilt 1 otherwise I just stick to the strainer & fluid change & external stuff.
GT Member
V6 Member

What year car (tranny) are we talking about? 98+ 4R70Ws had some major advantages compared to previous years... Also, what mileage?

2-3 shift is related to the direct clutch. It's possible this clutch burned up, but then you would have no 3rd or 4th gear... :p

But it could also be torque converter (TC) shudder. You would feel a "rumble" when it shifts. It starts in the 3-4 shift (if she ever saw that shift: it occurs at about 95+mph if overdrive is off ), then you would notice it in the 2-3 shift. Basically, it means the TC is getting to hot and burning up the fluid. Probably can be fixed by using Mercon V fluid. Might also need additional transmission fluid cooler.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page