Not Again! (Another Missfire) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Not Again! (Another Missfire)

Ok, so heres the rundown. A while back at the beggining of the summer, I went through a car wash, when the car started to shutter a lil, I didnt think much about it until i got out and stepped on the gas, the car shook and shuttered, so i pull out my preditor and scan for codes, It says Cyl #5 Missfire. No big deal i thought, i will just swap the plugs some water got in from the car wash or something, sure enough i switch the plug and it runs fine, a week later i go through a diffent car wash, and it does it again....Cyl #5 missfire.....so i change the plugs. and its fine.....another couple weeks after, my wife is driving in the rain...It does It Again...CYL #5 again...., But This time it went away by itself , then a week later on the way to the track in the rain....Does it again...CYL #5 Missfire...but again it just stops and sorts itself out....Finally I Get Cheesed....Like Really Ticked And I Swap The Coil The Plugs The Wires, And The Filter, Run Way More Fuel Injector Cleaner Then Recommended and Nothing But 94 Octane, I Even Went To NGK Irriduim Plugs And Took Out A Degree Of Timing.......Like 4 Months Go by Everything Ok.....Then Yesterday Stuck In Blowing Snow Behind A Transport Doing 30Kmh, The car Shutters...Plug In The programmer.....And Of Course...CYL #5 Missfire....Like Really? WTF? Why Does My Number 5 Cyl Hate me. And Its Only That Cyl Cause Everytime I Change The Plug In it...The Car Runs Mint....Please...Anyone..Anything..Help??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Check the routing of the spark plug wires.

Try this old racer's trick. Run the car in a totally dark location. look for the blue hue of escaping spark (arcing). Inspect the wires for white spots which are evidence of arcing.

Consider this could be an injector problem. Either replace the injector, swap it, or consider an injector cleaning service such as injectorrx.com.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

I Have Changed The Plugs And I have Been Though 3 Sets Of Wires, I Went From Stock To JBA's Now Finally To Taylors, as For The Injectors, If It Was That Wouldnt It Be Doing It More often? Or Wouldnt The Car Be Running Like Crap All The Time?, The Funny Thing Is When I Change The Plug It Runs Fine Again......I Was Doing Some Googling About It And I Found Another v6 guy Who Has The Same Problem With His Car, But He Thinks His Ringlan Is Gone Cause Of Detonation......But He is Running Forced induction.......I On The other Hand Just Have The Usual Stuff (70mil TB, Wires, Coil, Cold pipe, Etc) And I Have A tune...Could it Be possiable That My Tune Is Causing Detonation? The Engine Is Not Knocking But After The Other day There Has Been A Constant Miss I Can Hear In The Motor....If This Is The Problem...Its Bad News Worse New Then Good News....Bad News Cause Then i Will Have To Tear Down The Motor And Rebuild, Worse News Cause Then I Have To Pay For The parts And Drive My 88 5.0 In The Winter....But Then The good news Is How the Car Will Run After I Rebuild It From Parts From Morana Racing.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

You can always do a compression check to rule out a bad ringland......

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Just wondering, when you replaced the wires before, did it get better?

Have you done the "total darkness test"? It may seem like a lame test but it does sometimes work with very dramatic results.

I have helped a few V6's with misfire problems. One in particular I remember that he reported changing the spark plug wires with improvement. Problem return some weeks later. After asking for a picture of the engine bay, the problem was instantly obvious. The spark plugs wires were not routed correctly and touching all sorts of metal parts. The insulation would hold for a short while but then break down. Guess what? The misfire would return.

Have you swapped the injector with another cylinder? I believe this test has been mentioned. For that mater, have you even inspected the injector electrical connector? What if moisture is present?

What is the condition of the spark plug when replaced?

What are the results of a compression test? Anytime a problem can't be resolved by the usual methods, sometimes it's not a bad idea to look at the health of the base engine.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page