Mustang Issues - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Mustang Issues

Hi all,

About six months ago, I was the proud owner of a bright red 2002 V6 Mustang. I knew she wasn't the fastest or most glamorous car on the roads, but she was a nice little car, and I enjoyed driving her very much. Over the last six months however she has fallen in to a sad state of disrepair.

-The bumper is cracked and broken due to a fender bender.
-The left head light will only go on when the high beams are switched on, and they are choosy about when they want to work and not work.
-The digital odometer flickers on and off.
-While idling the RPM's dip to 500 and the who le car shakes violently.
-The windshield sprayers are not working.
-The passenger door is in need of a new handle after the current one was smashed up in a parking lot by a hit and run, leaving the door and rear fender damaged.
-And the front passenger inner fender fell of a few months ago leaving a ,clear passage for tons of debris and dirt to get all struck up inter.

Basically my problem is I have very limited knowledge of cars, and I don't whatnot even consider buying a second vehicle until this one is back to its former glory.

I think that the reason the odometer might not work is because of a fuse that is on its last legs.
I think the RPM's may be dipping because of a dirt air filter, and the lights may have issues because of a, loose wire.
I plan to get a new handle from Ford, a new bumper from Americanmuscle.com and allof the paint and bodywork done in the summer.
At the moment my main concerns are getting the vehicle in working order.

So I was wondering what advice you guys can give me for fixing the odometer problem, the lights, windshield sprayers and RPM issue.
I really love this car and realize how bad I have treated it over the last few months, and considering how great of a vehicle it has been I am disgusted with my treatment and have seen the error of my ways. I want to make it up to the car and get it looking and working great again by June.
All help is appreciated.
Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Welcome.

Clean the MAF. Use only a product designed for the job.

Check for vacuum leaks. Don't cut corners as even a tiny vacuum leak will cause issues.

Make sure the ignition system is in good repair. Esp the spark plug wires.

Review the following thread on IAC/idle issues:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post2260649

With regards to the cluster problem, review post number 7. The original thread is for a GT, but the tips apply to the V6 as well.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ustang-gt.html

Check out car-part.com for a searchable list of salvage yards in your area.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010
GT Member
V6 Member

Also, was the car looked at after the accidents (fender bender and hit-and-run)? I would think at least the damage from the hit-and-run would've been covered by insurance:?:

Other than that, I agree with wmburns: clean the MAF and IAC. Check the ignition. The windshield sprayers might just need wiped clean -- check the fluid level also. Let us know how things go!

FLASH = 98 V6, chrome yellow, black & blue accents, 146k daily driver
POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Sorry guys, what is a MAF and IAC?

Also, where is this vacuum I have to check?

I don't know much about cars.

Thanks
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010
GT Member
V6 Member

MAF = Mass AirFlow sensor: Mass flow sensor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It is located in your intake tube (right behind the air filter). Like wmburns said, clean with the right stuff: MAF cleaner, electronic contact cleaner, or 99% isopropyl alcohol only. And you just spray it and make sure it air-dries.

IAC = Idle Air Control: controls how much air is let past the TB (throttle body) to maintain idle. Your car still needs a certain small amount of air to keep running at those low RPM, when the throttle plate in the TB would be closed. (follow the link wmburns posted)

Since your engine is basically a large air pump, it is sucking in air through the intake (intake tube, air filter, MAF, TB, intake manifolds) and pushing it out the exhaust (headers, catalytic converters, midpipe, muffler). This creates suction in the intake manifold, which is equal to a vacuum (negative pressure). So anything connected to the intake manifold (intake, but also brake booster, PVC, other emissions stuff, etc) is experiencing a vacuum. You need to check all air hoses (rubber tubes) going to & from the intake for leaks.

FLASH = 98 V6, chrome yellow, black & blue accents, 146k daily driver
POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page