Mustang stalled out, now won't turn over - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Mustang stalled out, now won't turn over

Hey all! I have a 2004 Mustang. Has been running fine. Drove it about 40 miles yesterday and then parked it. Went to go out last night and it started up fine. Pulled away from the curb and it stalled and won't start again. It cranks but won't turn over. Before driving it 40 miles yesterday, it was low on fuel so I am not sure if I fouled the filter. Any thoughts on the possible problems based on the timeline from yesterday and the symptoms? Any diagnostics I can perform here (I am pretty skilled with cars, just not with the fuel system) I am hesitant to take it to a mechanic so they can seize the opportunity to replace a fuel pump unnecessarily and charge me $700. Thanks!

Jamie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010
Rookie
V6 Member

The fuel filter is cheap and easy to change. You will need a fuel line disconnect tool, but that's cheap too. I'd try that if you are worried about a clogged filter. You could also try checking your plugs and see if they have become fouled.

------------------------------------------
2004 V6 Coupe
CAI & full dual exhaust
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010
GT Member
5.0L Member

good one wheelin20, hook up a fuel pressure guage and crank it and make sure you have adequite fuel pressure. actually before you do that make sure you have spark from the coil when cranking

Just an old ford...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010
GT Member
V6 Member

Actually, you probably just ran out fuel... That would be the easiest and simplest solution -- so I throw a couple gallons in and try that first!

The next may be a filter change, but they don't usually just go that fast... Unless maybe you had a bad batch of gas and/or reached the sediment at the bottom of your tank. Again, putting in a few gallons won't hurt. BTW: when was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Recommended interval is 30k miles.

Lastly, it could very well be a fuel pump: I ran out of gas 2-3 times and ended up killing my fuel pump. :p So that may also be the problem.

FLASH = 98 V6, chrome yellow, black & blue accents, 146k daily driver
POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Also, check the inertia switch in the trunk. That is usually your fail-safe if you ran out of gas......

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page