2001 mustang strong exhaust smell - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

2001 mustang strong exhaust smell

I am looking at a 2001 V6 mustang with 5 speed to buy for my kid. It has about 150k miles, has factory intake, and aftermaket muffler (semi loud). The service engine light is on and I can see the 02 sensor is not hooked up. The car starts, runs, and drives good, but the exhaust smells really strong (rich maybe). Does not smoke when started or revved up. It is dirt cheap so I am willing to put some $$ in it. Any ideas? I have read that aftermarket exhaust may cause this. Anything else I can look for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010
Rookie

ive never heard that before, about aftermarket exhausts making it smell stong. but i would contribute the smell to the o2 sensors missing.

From what ive learned, the o2 sensors read the emmisions after the cats (hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide) and then work in corrolation with the tempurature readings in the computer to adjust the fuel/air mix to keep the engine running at best possible performance. If the o2's are out of the equation, that would throw a code and cause the light. Also could make it run rich like you said and in turn cause the smell.

2004 Mustang 3.9L V6
"Racing a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if you win, youre still retarded"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010
BOSS Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Tech_Fan View Post
ive never heard that before, about aftermarket exhausts making it smell stong. but i would contribute the smell to the o2 sensors missing.

From what ive learned, the o2 sensors read the emmisions after the cats (hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide) and then work in corrolation with the tempurature readings in the computer to adjust the fuel/air mix to keep the engine running at best possible performance. If the o2's are out of the equation, that would throw a code and cause the light. Also could make it run rich like you said and in turn cause the smell.
I agree completely with everything you said, i have one thing to add, since the O2 sensors are missing did they plug the holes?? with them being open it could lead to a stronger exhaust smell than normal.

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's
coming soon: blower cam and intercooled M112
dealer for Ortiz Performance; tunes, cams, etc. PM me!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010
Rookie

also if you were juss looking at the car, and didnt allow it to warm up to operating temp, then it woulda been a richer mixture than normal, intended for warming up the engine, then the lack of 02's could have also increased the mixture to be even richer possibly.

2004 Mustang 3.9L V6
"Racing a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if you win, youre still retarded"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

02 sensors are in. I drove the car till warmed up. Would an additional EGR problem cause this? I have looked at a few mustangs of that year range with EGR solenoid problems throwing a code.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010
Rookie

my advice is take it to your local autoparts store (autozone/ advanced auto parts for me) and ask them to read your code. then look up on the forum or google what the code means, and thats a good place to start to find the source of the problem. my guess is the smell is related to the service engine light, so id look into that first. juss my 2 cents.

2004 Mustang 3.9L V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page