1994 Mustang V6 Convertible Engine Swap Options? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

1994 Mustang V6 Convertible Engine Swap Options?

Proposition I: I have a 1994 Mustang convertible.

Proposition II: The engine in it now is the 3.8l V6. It has at least 201,000miles on it, but the odometer stopped working with a previous owner.

Proposition III: I want to extend the lifetime of this vehicle as far as is possible.

I honestly don't know too much about the car. I think the Tranny may be rebuilt and there are definitely quite a few other new-ish things in there. I just got it from a friend of the family, who got it from a guy, who got it from a dealer. It runs fine. The car pulls a little to the right, and the brakes, although new, are having a little issue pulling it to the left. Other than that, the car runs, gets pretty good gas mileage, and all the aesthetics work.

My question is: Should I be nervous about how long this car will last. Its clearly over 200k, so if the motor has that many miles on it, its well past its prime. Should I look into a new engine, and if so which? What will be the pros and the cons?

My Goals: I want a car that gets, at least, 18mpg as this will likely be a daily driver. However, I am a dude... and I want to cut up from time to time. So, I want something that's got mad nuts... ya dig?

I don't know what else I should have included, but I can answer any questions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

My opinion:

1. Take good care of it and keep up with the maintenance.
2. Drive it 'till it dies.

200k is high, but not out of realm if it has been taken care of........

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010
Rookie
V6 Member

I just myself in a similar situation. I have a 1996 V6 3.8L engine and the engine has almost 205,000 miles on it. I noticed the idle had gotten rough and the MPG dropped about 2 MPG. I got the car looked at by the local Ford dealer as a second opinion, and was told that the head gasket is shot.

I took great care of the car and did all of the routine maintenance on the car. I was complimented a lot on how the car looks, interior and exterior. Based on the mileage and age of the car, both the mechanic and the service representative did not recommend repair, as other problems could arise during a repair attempt. A new engine was priced, but very high due to labor costs. I personally got the car in June 1998, so I had it for 12 1/2 years. I am thinking about what to do now.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010
Redlyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
I just myself in a similar situation. I have a 1996 V6 3.8L engine and the engine has almost 205,000 miles on it. I noticed the idle had gotten rough and the MPG dropped about 2 MPG. I got the car looked at by the local Ford dealer as a second opinion, and was told that the head gasket is shot.

I took great care of the car and did all of the routine maintenance on the car. I was complimented a lot on how the car looks, interior and exterior. Based on the mileage and age of the car, both the mechanic and the service representative did not recommend repair, as other problems could arise during a repair attempt. A new engine was priced, but very high due to labor costs. I personally got the car in June 1998, so I had it for 12 1/2 years. I am thinking about what to do now.
In your situation I would suggest swapping a 3.8L out of a 99-04. You would be getting the benefits of the spit port engine without going through all of the hassle that a V8 swap would create.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010
MACH I Member

Garage
In a 96, definitely a swap to a 99+ V6, but I would not waste the money on a Mustang 3.8 but instead a F150 4.2L.

As for the 94, that car has V8 written all over it, it's not nearly as big of a job and as costly as a newer Mustang.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB View Post

Remanufactured engines are cheap, but you can upgrade to either a 99+ 3.8, or a 4.2. However, and tune will be required......

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011
Rookie
V6 Member

Thanks for the responses. I personally don't have the know-how to do this major work, nor does anyone I know. So I would still run into the high labor costs for an engine swap.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

I am in the same position w my 94 blown hg and I'm doing a low lineage 4.2 split port.

What other mechanical jobs have you done on cars? An engine swap seems really daunting before you do your first one. If you have good mechanical skills and adequate tools you can tech yourself with a Haynes and Chiltons and get a mail order chip if you decide on a split port upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page