Change of Plans! What about Stroking??? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Change of Plans! What about Stroking???

Ok got the 98 v6 and just finished up a big thread on Nitrous. Thing is, my engine started ticking. Not sure if this is minor a major? Prolly more minor since my car runs really good otherwise. Regardless; I have done alot of searching and found that maybe Stroking and Forging my engine is going to be a better idea before using a PA. What's going to be the best route here?

I'm thinking of building a DD Monster! First off, would my best bet be to grab a 3.8 junk block or get the 4.2 junk block? Gonna just get the block and go from there. My plans are to do this over time and learn as i go. Wanted to stay tru to my 232 if you feel me but you guys are the experts.

Lets get this party started! Final goals will probably be Stroked 4.2 parts from Morano or SSM, SSM stage 3 PwrPk, then maybe a Turbo or SC (do those Kenne Belles work they Fkn scream and that's so cool) with Spray. Sound good? This is for real not just blowing smoke however, as I said it may take me awhile because this is alot of cash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010
GT Member
5.0L Member

400 bucks buys you a 5.0, go for it

95' GT
331 cubes of fun
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Best route? Pick up a motor from GSS.......

If you have no engine building experience, it is best left to the people who do......

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

fyi the 3.8 and the 4.2 are virtually identical blocks.. its the rotating assembly thats different

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

So it doesn't really matter if you get either core if u plan on replacing all forged and upgraded?

And what is GSS? I'd actually like to learn the craft u know? I'm sure all the BIG TIME mechanics might say it's extremely difficult but I know how to read and am mechanically inclined and I got you guys(right???). That's actually part of the reason I want to do this?

About the 5.0 never gave that any thought? I'll research that.

Now when I get a core what do I look for? Will almost any core do? Or do I have to be aware of certain things?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynitababy View Post
So it doesn't really matter if you get either core if u plan on replacing all forged and upgraded?

And what is GSS? I'd actually like to learn the craft u know? I'm sure all the BIG TIME mechanics might say it's extremely difficult but I know how to read and am mechanically inclined and I got you guys(right???). That's actually part of the reason I want to do this?

Now when I get a core what do I look for? Will almost any core do? Or do I have to be aware of certain things?
NO! I am sorry I just re-read this. A 5.0 wont fit in a 98 I thought you had a 95... oops A 4.6 swap could be possible, although I'm not sure how easy it is.

95' GT
331 cubes of fun
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quick question though? Does the 4.2 swap right in and match the Manual trans I got now?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010
Redlyr

Quote:
Quick question though? Does the 4.2 swap right in and match the Manual trans I got now?
Yes, it will.

GSS Motorsports in the company Tom Shine (shinerstang) and Tom Shine Jr. (Shine1stang) run. They specialize in 3.8L and 4.2L performance.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

if you're serious, check out their website www.gssmotorsports.com, give them a call, email, PM, whatever, and they can most definitely hook you up

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Another quickie? Can a rebuilt stock 4.2 with a SSM stage 3 power pak handle a SC reliably for street use and maybe a little track?
Redlyr

It depends on what you rebuild it with. If you put in forged stuff then yes it could handle it as reliably as the tune. The stock bottom end can handle around 9-11psi decently. If you throw in forged bottom end you can do more than that.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Well i was researching and I don't think I need much more than 350-425 HP. I think that's about powerful enough for me for a DD. Not exactly a Monster but pretty ugly and mean eh? It's also pretty scary in the rain and snow. lmao:kooky: So maybe we could call it a Monster. NNN EEEways.....

What about a stock rebuilt 4.2, Stage 3 or maybe Stage 2 Pk with a SC, then an aluminum flywheel, DS and 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears and of course a super good Dyno tune. I think that gets me close to that goal??? Will the stock bottom handle that reliably or should I be concerned with the forged bottom?
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Quote:

I can care less who you get your motor from because all 3 put out great products. However, I do care about how your enthusiasm takes precedence over reality. Engine builders and engine assemblers are 2 different people, let alone machine shops putting an honest effort into prepping the block correctly for your build. They just don't understand to put effort into a V6 because they consider it a "grocery getter." I have horror stories on how people decided to build it themselves, or how his "buddy with a pretty fast Honda" was going to build it for him. Even Jr tried to talk him out of it on the phone. Guess what? The motor ate itself up within a month, and all he has now is 5 pistons, 5 rods, and an unusable burnt crank. We tried to tell him, but he wouldn't listen. The thing smoked like a freight train because the rings were not filed properly, and the bearing clearances were too tight so it starved itself for oil. He could have spent $3,200+ shipping with us and got a built bottom end with ARP main studs that would have lasted. But no, he ended up spending $2,800 on it with Ford main bolts, and only got to drive it for a month. He called me, apologized, and told us that he was better off having us do it, but now he doesn't have the money to start over.....

What you read in a Haynes/Chilton's manual will only get you so far. The spec's that they have in there and the spec's for a performance motor are totally different. You cannot get that from reading, you get that through engine building knowledge. Our partner has been building race motors for 30 years. Everything from pump gas to alcohol burners. Tried, true, tested-that's the way we roll....

I'm not trying to scare you, I just want you to know the facts before you go through what he did. Money is hard earned, and I don't want you to be discouraged if you have to build one twice......

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

100% Sir. I feel what ur saying and believe me I am extremely open minded about this process. I am mindful of the consequences if I were to screw something up and the money involved.

However, I'd really like to take charge in this and build an engine. I just really hate paying people to do work for me because 99% of them are going to take shortcuts and not put the effort in that they would put in their own. Plus if something happens I'd like to know what's going on so I could fix it.:yelpleased:

Now I agree that I am not even close to having the experience you have but yet and still I believe I have the capability to do almost anything and that includes engine building. I may sound naive but are you sure that I won't be able to do this?

Seriously; must one have years of experience to build an engine or can one take his or her own time and pay attention to detail and do this properly?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

And BTW ur partner did not always have 30 years experience. There was a point when he had 1 day experience. At that point did he build an engine and blow it up? If so are these results typical of all first time builders? And if that is so, then maybe I'll buy one from a qualified mechanic. Not being a smart ass either BTW.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page