Gauges Went Dead, But Car Stayed On...CPU Problem? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Gauges Went Dead, But Car Stayed On...CPU Problem?

Hi all, I figured I'd ask my question here before I take my car in to the dealer just to see what you guys think.

I have a 2001 Mustang convertible and it has around 124,000 miles. It has had an issue where the battery light comes on and turns off intermittently but the battery is perfectly fine. Today, however, it had a problem of a more serious nature. I was driving and suddenly three lights came on, and almost immediately all the gauges and dials went dead. The radio was still on and the car still functioned fine as far as driving went, but the gauges and everything turned off. Then a few seconds later the gauges and everything ramped back up and went back to normal. About thirty seconds later they went off again and stayed off for around three minutes. They went back on eventually (for instance, the fuel gauge went back up to full; the tachometer went to 120 miles-per-hour and then settled at 40 miles-per-hour;the temperature went up all the way and then went to the middle) and they didn't shut off again. The only problem now is that the total miles driven reading has a weird symbol in it, but this too happened once before and eventually went back to normal.

Obviously the computer is screwed up but to what extent? What are your thoughts? Have you guys ever heard of this happening? I'm hoping just some plug is messed up and it's not like an $800 fix or something...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Absolute first thing, check ground G203 located behind the center console. It's shared by several devices such as cluster, GEM, AC blower, and the RADIO.

Any recent radio install? Big sound system?

Consider removing the console and cleaning the connector. Measure the resistance of the black wire and black/white wire back to battery negative.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmburns View Post
Absolute first thing, check ground G203 located behind the center console. It's shared by several devices such as cluster, GEM, AC blower, and the RADIO.

Any recent radio install? Big sound system?

Consider removing the console and cleaning the connector. Measure the resistance of the black wire and black/white wire back to battery negative.
I'm not very mechanically inclined...I don't know what you meant by most of the reply but I'd like to do what I can. Can you "dumb it down" for me a little? I didn't have any big sound system put in recently, but I did have a cable run from the back of my radio to my iPod so I could play it in my car, but this wouldn't cause this problem would it? And is this a serious problem?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

You have posted in the "tech" section.

OK. here you go. There are grounds located all over the car. One ground (G203) is located behind the center console. G203 is shared with the radio. So if the ground was upset during the radio install, this could be your problem.

Most devices in the car can not work correctly if not well grounded. The cluster is grounded via G203. Make sense?

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmburns View Post
You have posted in the "tech" section.

OK. here you go. There are grounds located all over the car. One ground (G203) is located behind the center console. G203 is shared with the radio. So if the ground was upset during the radio install, this could be your problem.

Most devices in the car can not work correctly if not well grounded. The cluster is grounded via G203. Make sense?
Yes, thank you for clearing it up. I'll check that as soon as I can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page