2003 Mustang dual exhuaust question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

2003 Mustang dual exhuaust question

I bought a 2003 Mustang 3.8L with dual pipes that the previous owner had installed. We don't like the current sound and I'm going to change it. I would like to get the allfordmustangs.com members to voice their opinions on what exhaust setup I should go with. I know if won't sound like my 90 fox, but I wanna get it as close as I can. Also, will having the cats removed for the new exhaust make the check engine light come on? Thanks to all in advance.

" If you can't find 'em, grind 'em! They ain't made of rubber! "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011
GT Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Ponyboy4
true dual or dual from a y-pipe??? true dual flowmaster 44s with an x-pipe sound almost like a v8 at idle. but only at idle. revving gives away that it is a v6. keep the cats, it makes it too raspy.. and from the accounts that i hear, removing the cats will cause the check engine light to come on.

2004 40th Anniversary GT - Sonic Blue, Daily Driver, Steeda Short-throw, SR Performance CAI, Magnaflow Magnapack mufflers
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

yeah, theres 2 sets of O2 sensors on the exhaust one upstream of the cats and one downstream of them.. the first monitors the rich/lean condition of the exhaust and the second monitors the catalytic converters' efficiency.. if you remove them, the o2 sensors detect the cats aren't doing anything

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

i'm really happy with my setup and if i were you, i'd keep the cats. not having cats will make the light come on unless you get these Mustang Plug-in MIL Eliminators at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

1999 Mustang v6 convertible - Sold
2003 Mustang GT Koni STR.T & Vogtland springs
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks for the info. As for the pipes, they are true duals. Ill keep the cats. Dont wanna deal with the check engine light.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011
GT Member
V6 Member

If you're keeping the cats, and it's true duals after them, then the only thing left to do is change the mufflers...

What's on there now (if you can tell)? What don't you like about the sound? If it's too raspy for you, you could try welding in a cross-pipe to simulate an H-pipe. (There are also "dual exhaust adapters" that do the same thing). If it's too loud, you could change to chambered muffler (Flowmaster 40 series or similar).

List anything else that bugs ya, and we might be able to help. :yelpleased:

FLASH = 98 V6, chrome yellow, black & blue accents, 146k daily driver
POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I hear ya. I think I'll go with some super 44's. Maybe just one with a y-pipe. I don't think the six can handle two of them. The mufflers on there now look like some tubes that are probably 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter and about a foot long. The h-pipe idea sounds nice. I have much to think about. Thanks alot. I'll let y'all know what happens.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011
GT Member
V6 Member

Sounds like it has glasspacks (and short ones, if they're only a foot long!) Short glasspacks are very raspy/ricey -- very few people like them. Long glasspacks (~30") are OK, IMHO.

So, I'd just change the mufflers -- but don't go back to the Y-pipe! All kidding aside, the sixer can handle dual pipes, as long as they are properly sized. You're right: 3" is too big. I would suggest going back to the stock size, which I think is 2-1/4" or 2-1/2" for an '03.

FLASH = 98 V6, chrome yellow, black & blue accents, 146k daily driver
POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011
Apprentice

I have Flowmaster 50 Series on mine, which not a lot of people do. I enjoy them because they aren't too loud during everyday driving and on the highway, just a nice rumble that lets people know that it isn't stock. When you get into the higher RPM's however it gets aggresive and very complete sounding unlike the raw sound of the 40's and 44's.

The 40's ad 44's are great for attention grabbing and they do just that. That classic sound is awesome.

I also have the pypes high flow cats on my setup and they work fine. The SES light came on a couple times because of a few leaks but with an OBDII scaner you can delete the code after the leaks are taken care of.

K&N CAI, Pypes X Mid Pipe w/ High Flow Cats, Flowmaster Catback Exhaust w/ 50 series mufflers, Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw Shifter,
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks a lot. It does sound really raspy. Also, a buddy of mine looked at it and confirmed that the mufflers are glass packs. Thanks for all the info. I wanna get it right when I get it done. Nobody wants go wrong when it cost so much.

PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfoxowner View Post
Thanks a lot. It does sound really raspy. Also, a buddy of mine looked at it and confirmed that the mufflers are glass packs. Thanks for all the info. I wanna get it right when I get it done. Nobody wants go wrong when it cost so much.
You're right. I bought my 03 sixer used and the guy must have done the job his self. The pipes look like pipes you get from home depot and they were touching the bumper... So one of these days im going to get the whole system replaced with a nice set of flowmasters. I did get some black chrome tips. I highly recommend them atleast for a black car. They are freaking sexy.

Just get rid of the glass packs if anything haha. All v6 mustangs should have had their y pipe removed the minute they hit the dealership lol.

Now if you get some port and polished heads youll have a nice system to pump out all that exhaust

2003 Ford Mustang3.8L -65k miles
Installed
True Dual Exhaust w/ Black Chrome Tips | Lowering Springs
Coming
P&P heads | P&P upper intake | P&P lower intake | 70mm Throttle Body | CAI | SF3 Tune After | Full Engine Dress Up |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page