replacing stock speakers wiring questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

replacing stock speakers wiring questions

hey fellas im about to replace the rear two speakers on my 2000 but i noticed the wiring might pose a problem for me. the stock ones have a simple plug in adapter but the new ones o got have straight wires so my question is how do i connect the wires from the new speakers to the car wires. i know nothing about cionnecting wires. i heard something about plastic connectors that'll do the job but i wanted to make sure. they come with one all white wire and one all grey wire.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

heres a picture of the new speaker with the wires

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	814.3 KB
ID:	118807  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

You came to the right place!

Quickest, simplest, most common way to approach this kinda problemo is cut the plastic pos/neg wiring harness's coming from the car and twist the pos with the pos and the neg with the neg together, and than cover the exposed wire with something like heat shrink, elect. tape, or something along this lines.

You can either crimp the wires from the car to the speakers coils directly, or crimp them with the wires coming off the speaker.

Now, you may not know what wires match up to what. Well, look at the colors on your speakers wires, and the cars wires.

Notice your speakers wires are both white and one has a black line from on end to the other on it. A black line will represent neg. or ground. A red line on any other colored wire represents pos.

2001 GT Mustang

Cheers!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

SWEEET and this will work just fine like its suppose to.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Yup, thats what its meant for. Just make sure you disconect the neg. terminal on your bat. and get to cutting/crimping m8!

2001 GT Mustang

Cheers!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011
Rookie

hey guys.. on a similar note, i have a pair of sony 6x9 speakers from a previous installation. they're nothing real special, but i'm wondering how the stock mach-mp3 stereo speakers stand up against them. what would you do? keep or replace?

MODEL # XS-GT6935A

here's what the head unit looks like http://replacementradios.com/images/fordmachmp3.jpg
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDfive21 View Post
hey guys.. on a similar note, i have a pair of sony 6x9 speakers from a previous installation. they're nothing real special, but i'm wondering how the stock mach-mp3 stereo speakers stand up against them. what would you do? keep or replace?

MODEL # XS-GT6935A

here's what the head unit looks like http://replacementradios.com/images/fordmachmp3.jpg
Is that like the Mach 460? Does it have subs and a factory box in the rear deck?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7sage7x View Post
You came to the right place!

Quickest, simplest, most common way to approach this kinda problemo is cut the plastic pos/neg wiring harness's coming from the car and twist the pos with the pos and the neg with the neg together, and than cover the exposed wire with something like heat shrink, elect. tape, or something along this lines.
I use wire nuts, and then since I am paranoid, I will zip tie the two wires together so that there cannot possibly be any tension on the wire nuts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
Is that like the Mach 460? Does it have subs and a factory box in the rear deck?
no it's wired like your average stereo.. just wires going back the the factory 6x9s

are the stock speakers anything special? on the back of the magnet they say they're 25W and the ones i have are rated 60W, so i'm leaning toward switching them. i guess i'm just worried that there's some special synergy relationship between the head unit and speakers. thoughts?
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDfive21 View Post
no it's wired like your average stereo.. just wires going back the the factory 6x9s

are the stock speakers anything special? on the back of the magnet they say they're 25W and the ones i have are rated 60W, so i'm leaning toward switching them. i guess i'm just worried that there's some special synergy relationship between the head unit and speakers. thoughts?
I would doubt there is any relationship between the stereo and the speakers. not sure on the mach stereo's but I know that in the older Dodge cars with the Infinity stereo each speaker has a built on amplifier. so that would be something to check for. otherwise, if its just pos and neg, shouldn't be any problem swapping them out.

I'm about to swap out 2 6x9's in the rear dash for some 8" woofers, 2 mids and 2 tweeters. Should be an interesting custom mod.

I wonder if I can custom mod the doors to fit 6x9's hmmm *scratches head*
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDrake420 View Post
I would doubt there is any relationship between the stereo and the speakers. not sure on the mach stereo's but I know that in the older Dodge cars with the Infinity stereo each speaker has a built on amplifier. so that would be something to check for. otherwise, if its just pos and neg, shouldn't be any problem swapping them out.

I'm about to swap out 2 6x9's in the rear dash for some 8" woofers, 2 mids and 2 tweeters. Should be an interesting custom mod.

I wonder if I can custom mod the doors to fit 6x9's hmmm *scratches head*
that's good info, thanks. i'm going to swap them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page