2001 Mustang 2.8L will not start - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

2001 Mustang 2.8L will not start

in the title i meant 3.8
Okay well for starters i own a 2001 v6 mustang, i drove it to the store with no problems at all. when i came back and tried to start it it would run hard or run hard and stall and or not start atl all just crank, so i turned it off and walked up to advance auto to get some MAF cleaner and a 10mm socket. i took the IAC off and sprayed it down and let it sit out to dry for 10 min, i put it pack on and it's still doing the same thing. the reason i went to the IAC first is because it has done this once before and i cleaned out the IAC and it ran like it did from day 1. while i was at it i also cleaned out the MAF and the plug just to make sure it wasn't something stupid like that.... now for things that are close to being new are the electronic distributor, the fuel filter the spark plugs and spark wires, so i have no idea whats going on with my car

Last edited by mustang_jake91; 01-06-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: 3.8 insted of 2.8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Absolute first thing. Make sure the battery is fully charged and in good repair. Are the battery terminals clean, corrosion free, and tight? The battery must be strong for today's cars to work.

Check out the steps and let us know the results

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post2320575

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ont-start.html

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

yes the battery and terminals are fine, the battery is a year old and the lines where replaced when i got it in 2009. i also don't see how that would make a car run hard, last i knew the alternator did all the work after you got it started for the most part, and thats on the side of being close to new too. about a year and a half old.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

About the alternator. Today's cars will NOT run without a battery. The battery is needed to excite the alternator's field coil. It may work for a time but any increase in load will cause the alternator to shut down.

No battery = no alternator

Besides, it just makes good diagnostic sense to look at the basics before digging deeper. I'm constantly amazed at how often ppl will ignore the "Corrosion Cauliflowers" going on the battery terminals.

What are the tests results?

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

i took the battery to advance auto and everything is up to check and so is the alt, so i took the car to the shop and he says its a bad fuel pump but that makes no sence to me becasue it starts when its in a warm shop and i can hear it hum when the key it surned half way. i have a feeling its either the IAC becasue its done this before or water gas tank and in the lines and its winter so no gas flow
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_jake91 View Post
i have a feeling its either the IAC becasue its done this before or water gas tank and in the lines and its winter so no gas flow
In the check list, there was an item to hold the throttle half way open during cranking. If holding the throttle half way open improves starting, suspect a bad IAC.

It's reasonable to conclude that if holding the throttle half way open does NOT improve starting then the IAC is NOT the the sole thing keeping the motor from starting.

Have you checked the fuel pressure? Will the motor start if a small amount of starter fluid is sprayed into the intake? Knowing this could help rule in/out a bad fuel pump or blocked fuel lines.

If you think it's water in the gas tank, what have you done about it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
no start only cranking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page