1995 v6 Mustang exhaust rebuild question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

1995 v6 Mustang exhaust rebuild question

Hi! my exhaust is just in horrible shape so i am getting it redone, a Cowley free flowing 2.25" y-pipe single exhaust. It has no cats whatsoever, which gives a bit more flow.

Does this sound like it will give me enough back pressure? While maintaining good flow?

I had a pair of duals on but they were not built right, especially with no cats, it felt like i was losing power

1995 3.8 - K&N, Cowley high flow 2.25" catless y-pipe
Shift kit
******************** Retired

1995 GT vert
Auto
K&N, Powerflow 2.25" offroad x-pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011
BOSS Member
V6 Member

if you go back to the y-pipe with no cats then it should have plenty of backpressure, if you want to keep duals (which give a lot better flow) throw in a pair of highflow cats, that should give the right balance of flow/backpressure along with chambered mufflers of course lol
yes it still will lose a litttle pressure but the flow helps get the lost power from down low back at higher rpm's

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's
coming soon: blower cam and intercooled M112
dealer for Ortiz Performance; tunes, cams, etc. PM me!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Ok awesome think i will stick with the single no cats, i do alot of low rpm driving and frankly, just turning a/c on irritates me especially low rpms!
You seem to have a good deal go in your mustang? does the SCT chip make a good difference, and about how much hp? how much does it cost? i suppose it comes with a tuner but then do i need to get it dyno tuned aswell? lol so many questions!

Shift kit

1995 GT vert
Auto

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011
BOSS Member
V6 Member

Yes, the tuner makes a huge difference in feel and performance, no dyno chart to show you but it makes a nice difference, the cost all depends on how nice a tuner u want, I stuck with the simple plug and play chip which is about 270 the handheld programmers are better for the main reason that you don't have to send it off to get retuned like the chip, the range for the handhelds and more complex units is anywhere from 370-860, I highly recommend Americanmuscle for getting a tuner because they have a program setup that if you order a SCT tuner/chip from them it's free tunes for life whenever you need to have it changed for some reason

And no you don't need to get a dyno tune afterwards because it comes preloaded with the tune(s)

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

It's less buck than i thought i like the idea of them sending you a tune anytime you request one. so how does it work if you have your chip plugged in and they send u a tune e.g. u wanted more torque bottom end... do they email it to you and how do you get it on the chip?

270 isn't bad for more power, i see some chips advertised show about 20-25hp increase! A guy i work with has a bmw 135i (3.0 straight 6 twin turbo), and just from a software upgrade he got 80hp more!

Anyway good to see they make it DIY for us non engineers...

Shift kit

1995 GT vert
Auto
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I took a look at the pics of your ride, very neat, did you find the windstar intake gave you a considerable increase? it must be making close to 250hp at least??

Shift kit

1995 GT vert
Auto
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I took a look at the pics of your ride, very neat, did you find the windstar intake gave you a considerable increase? it must be making close to 250hp at least??
ehhhh with that stuff hes maybe, if hes lucky, got 25 over stock form

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011
BOSS Member
V6 Member

The only way you get the tune emailed is if you have a handheld unit or something pricier lol with the chip i got (the $270 one) you have to send it in to get it retuned, and since you are outta country i wouldnt recommend getting it, it would take forever for it to clear customs. American Muscle claims an average of 21hp increase with a 91 octane tune, which is probably a little high for the V6, which would probably come in at around 15. Im sorry to tell you that you can't use the windstar intake because you have a single port intake on your 95 V6 whereas 99-04 V6's have the splitport intake which has 2 runners feeding each intake valve. I wish my car made 250hp, once i get my chip back from bama (americanmuscle's tuning department) i hope to hit around 235 (at motor) with the race tune and that is being very hopeful. :hihi: Thank you for the compliment on my car i still have alot left to do, hood painted, fix paint on the rest of car, motor work, etc......

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

davidcseifert... 235 is a lot of go for a 3.8! hope u make it

what difference does a different coil pack make?

so i had my exhaust built the way i described, single pipe, catless, high flow muffler, all good! I find it a bit confusing reading up on back pressure and going catless, but i suppose if you have catted x pipe duals, then my y pipe setup should have more than enough??

Shift kit

1995 GT vert
Auto
BOSS Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
davidcseifert... 235 is a lot of go for a 3.8! hope u make it

what difference does a different coil pack make?

so i had my exhaust built the way i described, single pipe, catless, high flow muffler, all good! I find it a bit confusing reading up on back pressure and going catless, but i suppose if you have catted x pipe duals, then my y pipe setup should have more than enough??
sorry it took me a little while to get back to you, been dealing with a big debate thread , in the advertisment for the coilpack it claimed an improvement but after talking to shinerstang it was basically just a waste lol i got it the same time i did my plug wires and noticed a little improvement in mpg's , yes your y-pipe should have plenty enough pressure since you got a decent flowing muffler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page