BroncoII/Ranger 7.5 rear end the same as 03 mustang? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

BroncoII/Ranger 7.5 rear end the same as 03 mustang?

Hello,

Ok, so I recently had the rear end in my 2003 v6 Mustang go out. The carrier pin snapped in half, threw the loose half out of the carrier about half way and smacked into the pinion. The carrier and gears all have to be replaced.

I've searched around looking for a used rear end that I could just have bolted on, but unbelievably 99-04 Mustangs are apparently a rare commodity on a salvage yard.

So I started looking around at a rebuild kit, that includes the carrier and all, so I can take it to my mechanic and have him put it in. I found a kit at BroncoGraveyard.com (seen here) and I want to make sure that these parts will fit my mustang's 7.5" rear end. I called the guy at BroncoGraveyard.com and he said he thinks they are the same but he doesn't know Mustangs so he didn't want to guarantee it. The last thing I want to do is get these parts and have them not work.

Any advice? Also, does that kit include everything I'm going to need outside of lube to get this job done?

Oh, and ignore the gear ratio, he said he'll switch them out to 3.73.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

the 7.5 rear end is the same between them only thing thatd be different between a ranger rear and a mustang rear is the mounting points, they had different rear suspensions.. thats all.. a 7.5 rear is a 7.5 rear no matter what ford car or truck it came from, the parts will interchange, even though you might be looking at different gear ratios and limited slip differentials rather than open ones

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

+1 Mark......

There are only a couple things to worry about when swapping complete rear ends. On the old Broncos, they had a slight offset rear end, so the axles are different than yours.

You can use any gears or t-lock from the Ranger/Bronco are. Most of the Rangers had 3:73's with a t-lock. Swapping them out is easier as long as you mark the relation between the pinion nut and pinion gear.......

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

The kit did work. I highly recommend Bronco Graveyard. The parts showed up next day all the way from MI to TN. I swapped the 3.45 in the kit with a 3.73.

Only problem now is the guy who installed it didn't get it just right and the rear end is whining. He tried to tell me it was the transmission but after driving it a little, dropping the pan on the trans and finding it in great condition, adding the lucas stuff and changing the filter, I think differently. I guess I have to take it back and get him to fix it properly.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011
MACH I Member

Garage
You need to set the backlash properly. You need to get it done soon so the gears don't wear wrong.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page