idle problems (hanging,low) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

idle problems (hanging,low)

hey guys ive been having a lot of trouBle lately with my cars idle. everytime i would shift it would spike up, when in N it would hang at about 2k, 3k in cold weather VERY ANNOYING. so i changed the IAC, the TPS which i got at the ford dealership ($90:? and the egr. it continued to do it so i kept checking things. when the IAC is unplugged it almost dies which is how its suppose to be but when i plug it back in the idle shoots up to 1.5-2k so i put the old one back on and it stopped. no more hanging idle but now it idles kind of low 500-600 and it dies sometimes when i start it. should i just go try another IAC. a bunch of codes keep popping up and im not sure if its bcuz im messing with all this. P1504, P1506, P1120, P0122 AND P0136 but thats an o2 sensor thats bad HELP
2000 V6 176K

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011
PONY Member

First off address the codes that it is giving . If you have a bad )2 sensor it can affect your idle and drivibility. So if codes are happening that is where you need to start. The Iac circuit seems to say that you are reading higher then expected so could you have the TPS set a little too high whenyou changed it. It can be made to adjust and as I have said before I think it has a range of .5 volts to .9 volts when it is just sitting closed and will move upward from there when the trottle is opened. I know some have said the new cars use a different method of closed loop to reset this with each start, but maybe you should try and set this at the .5 volts when it is just closed and see if that helps. If it does make a difference but the way you want try moving it more to the .9 volts. This may well stop all those codes bu the O2sensor.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

how exactly do i do that sir ive never done something like that. do you think its a good idea to get a new IAC it is pretty old.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

vacuum leaks are a leading cause of erratic idle speeds

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page