200 Ford Mustang v6: Power locks do not function but they make a sound and wiggle. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question 200 Ford Mustang v6: Power locks do not function but they make a sound and wiggle.

Hello, I just recently purchased a 2000 mustang with 72k miles on her (V6 model; v8 burns waaaaaay too much gas for my tastes) and while she needs some minor parts replaced that I can easily do there is one issue in particular that I am not sure of how to fix. That is her power locks; the power windows work fine. But the power locks do not lock or unlock from either side of the car. When I hit the button on my keychain or on either door within the car, I see the lock jiggle and it makes a quick sound like they are trying to move, but it will not open or close.

I can open either door easily by hand, or with the key, and I can push the locks back down easily with very little pressure to lock the car. Can anybody tell me what could be causing this issue?

P.S. I do have an alarm in my car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011
Apprentice

Check the fuses or maybe u need a new window switch.

2002 Ford Mustang
V6 AT Stock
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMustang562 View Post
Check the fuses or maybe u need a new window switch.
no, thats not it.. i remember a thread about this in the first 6 months or so when i joined here.. OP, do a search of the site, im sure you'll find someone with the same issue

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Mine did that on my 95. It ended up being the switch.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
V6 model; v8 burns waaaaaay too much gas for my tastes
Out of curiosity is your car manual or auto?

3 mpg city, 2 mpg highway, $217 yr = waaaaaaaaayy to much? Just sayin....

Ford Mustang
6 cyl, 3.8 L, Automatic 4-spd, Regular 18 25
$1935

Ford Mustang
8 cyl, 4.6 L, Manual 5-spd, Regular 15 23
$2152
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

in reality the gas mileage isnt all that different.. my friend has a manual gt and he gets about the same mileage as i do in my auto v6

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
Mine did that on my 95. It ended up being the switch.
Switch? You mean the actual switch that locks and unlocks the door? that doesn't make sense. It would mean that both switches on the left and the one on the right all went. And in that case it shouldn't do ANYTHING; same for a fuse.

I remember reading something somewhere about the altruators being the issue, but is there anyway to know for sure so that I don't waste $40 for nothing?

P.S. My car is manual; and I am already feeling the difference in gas mileage vs my old toyota corolla. But the mustang is just sooooooooo much more fun to drive.

Some quick math: 3 MPG difference; let's say 10 gallons to fill up the v6(don't know correct amount, it's a little more). That is 30 miles lost per fill up in the v8. Gas is 3.07 here a gallon for low grade, and v8 gets 15 mpg. That means I would lose approximately $6.14 a fill up. After already paying $30, basically now it becomes $36 to fill her up? No thank you.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Switch? You mean the actual switch that locks and unlocks the door? that doesn't make sense. It would mean that both switches on the left and the one on the right all went. And in that case it shouldn't do ANYTHING; same for a fuse.
You are thinking of the switches as if they are in parallel when in fact they are in series. Here is the schematic below. After looking at the schematic it points towards the passenger switch. If you wanted to test it, you could jumper a known 12v hot to the actuator lead. I would do this first as the actuators are a *****, I think they are riveted inside the door.

Quote:
P.S. My car is manual; and I am already feeling the difference in gas mileage vs my old toyota corolla. But the mustang is just sooooooooo much more fun to drive.

Some quick math: 3 MPG difference; let's say 10 gallons to fill up the v6(don't know correct amount, it's a little more). That is 30 miles lost per fill up in the v8. Gas is 3.07 here a gallon for low grade, and v8 gets 15 mpg. That means I would lose approximately $6.14 a fill up. After already paying $30, basically now it becomes $36 to fill her up? No thank you.
That's fine that's your preference. To some people the .87 cents extra a day ( your example, 1 tank a wk) would be worth it to have the extra power. Just saying it's not a huge difference that you claimed it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page