wanting suspension opinions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

wanting suspension opinions

I'm going to be installing a Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension kit (m-5400-a) in the near future and was thinking that would be a good time to swap out my bushings, etc. I already have poly isolators on order and some poly bushings for the steering, so I'm looking for recommendations for bushings for the front and control arms for the rear. My 04 is a daily driver with very little romping, but I would like better handling and a firm rear. Right now, price is the main thing (I've already spent a bunch on the handling kit, rims, tires, and tuner). From what I've seen, the front bushings are about the same price, etc, but still looking for the most bang for the buck. The rear control arms decision is more difficult... I've checked out a couple of sites and would like some opinions and/or options. One control arm kit that looks good is 1979-2004 Mustang Rear Upper & Lower Control Arms in Black - Control Arms - Chassis & Drivetrain - Home for your Ford Mustang
and another is 79-04 Mustang Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms (this one says nothing about the type of bushings, so I'm guessing rubber). It looks like both come with hardware for older and newer stangs. All help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

I had that exact POS china set on my 95 and would advise against it. Bushings went to hell in under a year. Supposedly my set came with rubber then later they started using urethane. Can't really say I noticed any handling improvement either

I think the Bullitt kit alone will make a dramatic improvement. I have the tokico blue kit on my fox which I believe is close if not identical to the Bullitt kit. (Bullitt kit is Tokico)

Remember the more poly you put in there the harsher the ride and more NVH you will get on your DD. I would not even think of putting poly in the front A arms. If they are bad I'd replace them with some MOOG ones. Check out your rear housing bushings... those are almost always bad on these cars.

I have the steeda boxed stock style uppers. FMS had similar ones. Not sure if the Steedas or the FMS ones are still sold. I think they're a good compromise. I have steeda aluminum lowers, not sure which version of the bushings they are. If I were to do it over again I would box the stock lowers and throw in some MOOG bushings or maybe poly. You want a good bang for the buck well there you go.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Thanks for the reply. I have never heard of MOOG, where would I look for them? Are they better than rubber?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckpunk View Post
...I like a firm rear...
Me too!!!

(blah blah blah - 15 char)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firm rear.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	119707   Click image for larger version

Name:	wellrounded.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	119709  

FLASH = 98 V6, chrome yellow, black & blue accents, 146k daily driver
POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I have never heard of MOOG, where would I look for them? Are they better than rubber?
MOOG is just a replacement brand. Summit or parts stores should have them. Everyone uses their bushings, ball joints, tie rods etc. I always hear they are great quality. The are rubber. I am not sure if they are necessarily stiffer than the stockers.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

OK, I can understand using rubber up front, but are there any suggestions for the rear? Would re-doing the upper with rubber and the lower with poly work? I was also thinking about these Steeda control arms. It says they have a 3 piece bushing for the upper.

Steeda Steel Upper & Lower Control Arm Combo - 1979-2004 Ford Mustang 555-2001 555-2002
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Anyone...?

Does the above post sounds good for a daily driver with some "fun" characteristics ?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011
GT Member
V6 Member

Honestly, if you're staying daily driver and not going autocross... then I would simplify your whole plan.

An LSD (T-lok) would give you better traction for the rear, then just get lowering springs and some c/c plates (for alignment). I think a brake upgrade (could be just better pads) and sticky tires/ wider wheels are in order before you get too crazy with suspension. If you really start firming up your ride, you will lose any comfort...

Just my $.02 anyway.

FLASH = 98 V6, chrome yellow, black & blue accents, 146k daily driver
POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

I would love to get a T-loc (been looking for an 8.8), I just don't have the money to rebuild my 7.5 right now AND buy the gears. I already have the Ford Racing suspension kit because I needed shocks/struts anyway, so I spent a little more to get the whole package. The main reason I'm looking at front bushings and possibly rear control arms is that I would like to replace them because I'm working in the same area anyway. That way I don't have to tear it apart again in another year or so. I also picked up some black bullitt 17x8 rims with new tires (the car rides better with just that... can't wait for the rest of it).
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
OK, I can understand using rubber up front, but are there any suggestions for the rear? Would re-doing the upper with rubber and the lower with poly work? I was also thinking about these Steeda control arms. It says they have a 3 piece bushing for the upper.

Steeda Steel Upper & Lower Control Arm Combo - 1979-2004 Ford Mustang 555-2001 555-2002
Functionally those are about the same as any other arms. Quality should be a little better since it's Steeda and not cheap made in china crap. EVERY brand has 3 piece bushing. THe urethane is in 2 halves and then there is the metal sleeve. IDK why they try to make it sound as if it's something special. The only reason I have the Steeda rear lowers is because mine are the AL ones that I got used from a friend for a good price. AL = weight savings.

I'm telling you, the arms are overrated. Here is my final advice:

Visually inspect all your bushings. THe pressed in housing bushings are highly likely to be bad. If the uca and lca bushings are ok then skip those for now and re-evaluate after the bullitt package. I bet you won't think you need them after all.

If the uca and lca arm bushings are bad when you do your first visual, then sure, go ahead and get the Steedas. At least the Steedas come with the housing bushings too.

I did some checking for my own future reference and the front control arm moog standard bushings are K8495 and they have "heavy duty" bushings MOOG Part # K80114. I just pulled the a arms off a parts car and it's a *****. I would not suggest it unless your bushings are for sure bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page