2004 mustang automatic engine into 2000 mustang, they have same computers? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

2004 mustang automatic engine into 2000 mustang, they have same computers?

Hi, I have a question regarding 2000 mustang. I have a 2000 V6 (3.8) mustang automatic and I recently take out my engine and transmission complete as one piece and I install a 2004 mustang automatic engine and transmission complete as one piece and the engine size is (3.8). So they both have same engine size, but do I need to change the computer as well?? I am using my 2000 Mustang v6 computer right now. It is giving some problem, like the engine light is on for the collant sensor light. and when drive, it doesnt have power and instead of rpm gauge going up , the speed gauge is going way high where the car is very slow. I used the 2004 engine harnesses also. If any body can guide me about what should I do. I would really appreciate your help. I did this swap because my previous tranny was going bad and I thought it would be cheaper this way and I found a good engine with very low mileage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011
Apprentice

ok i dont know much about the computer, but what i have learned from my trubbles of frying my computer they are different.. I know by parts shopping they are made for every year, engin size 3.8 or 3.9 and if its an auto or 5 spd... Also if you have the security system it will have to be reflashed for pats. If you are driving your car then obviously pats is not the issue... But if you swap the computer then it will lock your motor down and throw a p1206 or p1260 i cant remember, but it will say theft detected, vehicle immobolized. thats what mine did.. so if your going to swap your computer then make sure you drive your car to ford first and swap it in the parking lot where they can reflash pats.( to keep you from having it towed) idk if this is any help or not..

04 v6 conv. Drag radials,AM cai, Bamma Tuned with a SCT SF3, pypes x pipe, american thunder cat backs.
If you are looking to make some extra money click the link below to see how.
http://JAMartin.emcode.clicksurecpa.com[/url]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011
Apprentice

p1260 is the code.

04 v6 conv. Drag radials,AM cai, Bamma Tuned with a SCT SF3, pypes x pipe, american thunder cat backs.
If you are looking to make some extra money click the link below to see how.
http://JAMartin.emcode.clicksurecpa.com[/url]

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

Hi thanks for your reply. My question was that are the computers are different? My engine size is same both 3.8. I start the car first time and it starts fine but now sometimes it starts sometimes not. So is it because I need an 04 computer not 00? Because I am still using 2000 mustang computer. Where should I take the car or computer to reprogram?? Thanks for your help
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011
Rookie

Yes, the computer are different.
The computers now a days are made for the specific car. So if you were to drop a different engine into your car, your check engine light would be on constantly because your computer doesn't recognize the engine.
I see you're from california, and that's a problem, because your call will never pass smog with the CES light on.
I recommend using the computer that belongs to that specific engine block/tranny.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011
Redlyr

The 2004 engine has IMRCs and the 2000 does not.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011
GT Member
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to ESG-642T
Quote:
Originally Posted by hHOTMustangassa View Post
Hi, I have a question regarding 2000 mustang. I have a 2000 V6 (3.8) mustang automatic and I recently take out my engine and transmission complete as one piece and I install a 2004 mustang automatic engine and transmission complete as one piece and the engine size is (3.8). So they both have same engine size, but do I need to change the computer as well?? I am using my 2000 Mustang v6 computer right now. It is giving some problem, like the engine light is on for the collant sensor light. and when drive, it doesnt have power and instead of rpm gauge going up , the speed gauge is going way high where the car is very slow. I used the 2004 engine harnesses also. If any body can guide me about what should I do. I would really appreciate your help. I did this swap because my previous tranny was going bad and I thought it would be cheaper this way and I found a good engine with very low mileage.

I'm not sure why you swapped the entire engine just for the transmissions?

Use the 2000 wiring harness, and computer.... You don't need the 2004 harness.

- 2002 V6 Mustang Daily
- 86 Buick "Nope its a monte calro"
FS: 94-04 heads, cams, ported intakes.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011
MACH I Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESG-642T View Post
I'm not sure why you swapped the entire engine just for the transmissions?

Use the 2000 wiring harness, and computer.... You don't need the 2004 harness.
No, he needs the 2004 stuff for the IMRC or he needs to delete the IMRC to use the 2000 stuff.

You need the 2004 computer.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011
Rookie

He needs the computer from the car the engine came from.
Like me, he lives in California, with some of the strictest emissions laws in the US. If the comptuer doesn't recognize the engine, the CES light will come on, and the car will not pass smog in the state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page