Cobra Engine Swap - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Cobra Engine Swap

I own a 96 Mustang v6 with 207,000 miles. My plan is to purchase a 99-04 Mustang v6 5sp, or convert my automatic to a 5sp. Either way, I'm looking to swap out the engine for a brand new 03-04 Cobra engine and a T56 Tremec Transmission. If somebody could give me a price I would be looking at for the whole job that would be great (I will be having them professionally installed). By the way, this is simply curiosity. I am not planning on doing this for a few years. Thanks

2000 Mustang GT!!!
FRPP Intake manifold, Flowmaster 40's with larger pipes and tips (Nice deep tone).

"I want to own a shop where people can come and not get completely ripped off" - Ludacris (Fast Five)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 232-K7
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljag1 View Post
I own a 96 Mustang v6 with 207,000 miles. My plan is to purchase a 99-04 Mustang v6 5sp, or convert my automatic to a 5sp. Either way, I'm looking to swap out the engine for a brand new 03-04 Cobra engine and a T56 Tremec Transmission. If somebody could give me a price I would be looking at for the whole job that would be great (I will be having them professionally installed). By the way, this is simply curiosity. I am not planning on doing this for a few years. Thanks
brand new ??!

that longblock & trans is 8k from a junkyard, i can only imagine what it costs new. not to mention the wiring will be a nightmare.

you also realize the t56 is a 6spd, not a 5spd right?

you'll spend around 15k getting an entire terminator drivetrain into your car.
not exactly your best bang for the buck..

-2000 3.8L TKO600, 1.8 60ft, 8.71 @ 81mph
-1988 Jeep XJ, bone stock 2wd
-1994 Jeep XJ 4wd, 3" lift, 31" tires.. rust in peace..
-1997 Jeep XJ 4wd, 7" lift, 35" tires, front/rear lockers

-Bronze Level Porsche Technician
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I've seen some used Terminator motor/trans for $6K-$8K. You might be able to find the wiring harness and EEC on there too. Might set you back around 500 bucks for that too. You'll will need a 8.8 from a GT and driveshaft, maybe around 200-300 bucks on ebay. The IRS from a Terminator could cost anywhere from 500-1000 bucks. SRA will be cheaper. Clutch pedal assembly on ebay around 125 bucks. Not a cheap swap but do-able.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Maybe you should call a shop and ask yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cobra , engine swap , t56 , transmision

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page