Front end crash - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Front end crash

So about two weeks back I was involved in a collision with a concrete barrier after slipping on ice. I hit it on an angle, the driver's side first then the car slid around scraping mainly that corner.

Needless to say, it now has no headlights, no bumper cover, grille, headlight mounting panel, and the hood appears to be pushed up and back. There is "highlighter" yellow fluid leaking out, which leads me to believed the radiator is busted too.

the inner bumper, reinforcement bar is bent as well, I hit the wall with enough force to push the left side in and pull the top part off the reinforcement bar off of the bumper bracket (little accordion looking things), I think they are welded to the frame which is why my dad is saying we will have to cut the nose off of another Mustang and weld it on to mine.

The metal the brackets are attached to seems a bit bent out of shape too. So does this sound repairable, or is this going to be a several thousand dollar affair? If it is going to cost over $2000.00 to fix I will just get rid of the car.

I have a friend who is a mechanic and body man coming to see it on Wednesday.

What are your opinions, what should I do here?

I will be uploading pics hopefully soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011
V6 Member

well the bumper will put down 250 if u get a used one and maybe you could get a lower price but u also need to paint it which is another 200 or so.
(this is based on the houston area)
the radiator is like another 100
the hood puts down like 200
thats 700 so far and to do the work to unbend and weld things back together im not sure i never messed up my car that bad. Well infact i never messed up my mustang but i have had to repairs friends cars.
hopefully you get the pics up soon

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

I think the deciding factor will be weather the radiator core support is damaged (which it likely is if the radiator is damaged) and also if the engine bay frame rails are damaged. You need the factory specs for all the frame measurements. There is a ford diagram with many different measurements between structural points in the engine bay. If the rails are bent, I do not know if they can safely be pulled out or replaced or not.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Here is an example so you know what I'm talking about. Looks like this is published by Mitchell. Click to enlarge.

http://img278.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_439lo.jpg

http://img239.imagevenue.com/img.php...._122_44lo.jpg

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member

Same thing just happended to my son's 2001. In Houston an aftermarket bumper reinforcement is $36.00, ebay radiator for $73.00, header suppport panel $42.00, headlight $48.00 and a used condensor for $30.00. Big cost was the radiator core support and frame rails. The body shop charged $990.00 to fix that. I'm in the middle of putting it all back together again. Even using the dinged up hood and bumper cover again it will be at least $1700 when all is said and done. That's with me putting it back together myself. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page