Temperature Gauge and Cooling System Issues on My 1995 V6 Mustang. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Temperature Gauge and Cooling System Issues on My 1995 V6 Mustang.

Hi,

i have a 95 V6 'stang

My problem is the following :

The temperature gauge will go from normal to HIGH, and shoot out cold air. Coolant will shoot out from the overflow even thow there is the Right amount.
Then after a little while, it'll go back down to normal and shoot out hot air.
It will do this often while driving.

It will also shoot out white smoke from the radiator

I took it to a garage and they tried to remove air bubble from the radiator. I also had the garage change the head gasket cuz they though it might have been that. After changing the gasket, it worked perfect for a day, then went back to "screwing up".

Im not sure what's my next step.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011
Rookie

Oh man, funny you should make this post, since I have had nothing but weird issues with my cooling system.

I feel your pain.

Best thing to do is literally empty all your coolant, and do a flush. Change your thermostat while you are at it just in case (only like 6 bucks) and just refill your coolant properly.

You have to make sure that you add coolant, run the car (with the pressure cap off [not the same as the regular cap to add coolant in])
and when it gets hot enough to open the thermostat, add some more. Drive it for about 5 mins, come back and add even more. It took me about a jug and a half of coolant to get it right.

It still acts slightly funny for the first 5 minutes I drive in the morning (and I even let my car warm up about 5 min before taking off). But it acts perfect after that...

I have a feeling it's just a common issue with the cooling system in these mustangs. If you get confused about properly re-adding coolant, just google it. I have seen some well explained guides.

Let me know how it goes or if you find something I didn't know about. I got mine running pretty well, but it bugs me that it isn't perfect.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

I've already done that...
flush and evertyhing. ran perfect in the garage. bringing it home. bam. whtie smoke. coolant all over the engine, themostat up and down...

perplexing..

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteraven81 View Post
I've already done that...
flush and evertyhing. ran perfect in the garage. bringing it home. bam. whtie smoke. coolant all over the engine, themostat up and down...

perplexing..
you sure you sealed up the t stat when you installed it? check around the tstat for leaks.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011
Apprentice

Its quite possible u have an obstrucion somewhere too. I have an 88 302 that I put an intake on and had a hell of a time getting the air bubble out. Took it everywhere, tried everything to find out it was still doing it. As luck would have it I had a lifter go bad and had to take the intake back off and when I put it all back together it was sooo much easier to get that air bubble out! 302 are notorious for being hard to get the bubble out anyway. I used the same gasket sets and everything,bmust have just been just one of those things, or maybe even a bad gasket...anyhow, that is another possibility.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Would a Non-Functionial Tstat really cuz the coolant to Rise Super fast and shoot out of the overflow ? wouldn't my car just overheat if it's not opening or stay cold longer if it was always open ?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

I had the exact same problem.

Definitely an air pocket. You might be overflowing and loosing coolant due to bad radiator cap, bad tstat, possible blown hg.

You may be correct in your above post.

The coolant can overflow due to blown hg because the cylinder pressure over-pressurizing the coolant system.Is coolant overflowing when it's cold or hot? Have you replaced the cap yet?

Do you have any other signs of blown hg? Rough idle, mileage decrease, excessive steam and water out of the tail pipe, oil in water or vice versa?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

you said the garage changed your headgaskets did they check the heads and block for cracks?

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstang690 View Post
you said the garage changed your headgaskets did they check the heads and block for cracks?
Good point, also could have been warped and not made a good seal on the new hg so it blew right away. Not sure what a general mechanic shop's precedure is for checking the head for flatness.
GT Member
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to ESG-642T
You prob just had an air pocket...... When the shop removed the HG to change them did they(as other have asked) check the heads to make sure they were straight and had a good mating surface??

If not they should have been milled.

- 2002 V6 Mustang Daily
- 86 Buick "Nope its a monte calro"
FS: 94-04 heads, cams, ported intakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page