Found a Big Spring Under My Right Rear Mustang Tire - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Found a Big Spring Under My Right Rear Mustang Tire

I was putting some cables on my car because it is slick as all get out here. Put them on and was going to go to my uncles to jack the car and make sure they on fully (he lives 1/16 mile away), the left rear one came off, managed to get the car to his place with 2 people helping push. While attempting to back into his garage the rt rear slipped and got a little tangled. I looked under the car and didn't see anything broken (cables, lines, etc). When I started pulling away my uncle found a spring (1 1/4in in diameter, 4 coils) that looks like a retainer spring of some kind. I don't know where it goes. Is it dire that it be on my car? Can I get by for a little while without it? I plan on redoing my entire suspension within the next month or so. Can I wait until then? Any help would be appreciated. BTW, I decided just to take the next couple of days off and not put the cables on the car. Steering would have sucked and I work over 23 miles away.

Should this be under "tech" instead of "talk"?

Last edited by Snackmaster; 02-03-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: merged back to back posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011
Snackmaster

No worries... I just moved it for you here to Tech. Do you have a pic you could post so we can see what you're talking about?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to NorStang
I'm sorry, but there is an invention called "Winter tires"

The spring can be from the e-break at the rear caliper, only thing I can think of right now.

-1995 Conv V6 H/C/I and all bolt ons
-1994 Coupe V6 built by GSS Motorsports, painted by Allen Skaggs (Flawless Customs)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Here is a pic of the spring. I uploaded it to my gallery, so I hope this works.

Found a Big Spring Under My Right Rear Mustang Tire-0202111725.jpg
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011
MACH I Member

Garage
That mounts on the caliper for the parking brake. It needs to be on there to help the parking brake fully release.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

OK, so if it is off I will have more drag on that tire (so, not recommended to leave it off). Sounds like I need to jack it back up, look at the other side, and hook it back up. Is it hard to put on? From the looks of it, I just stick one end in somewhere and maybe use a pair of pliers to stick the other end where it goes?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011
Apprentice

not to insult you or anything, but you should probably have somebody more mechanically-enclined look at it, or try and get that to a shop to have somebody check everything out and make sure everything is complete. sounds like an uphill battle already...

2001 V6 Convertible, CAI, 4.10 gears, dual x pipe, throttle body, 17x9 Bullitt rims, bbk shorty headers
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Thanks for the help. It went back on pretty easily and drove fine.

I am mechanically inclined (shade tree mechanic level), I just like to gather info before jumping into something. It was also a fairly obscure part to try and locate in my Hayes manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page