1994 V6 Mustang Coupe - Possible thermostat problem, Please help! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy 1994 V6 Mustang Coupe - Possible thermostat problem, Please help!

I own a 1994 V6 Manual Mustang Coupe. I have been using the heater with no problems, then one day recently I noticed the heater didnt seem to warm up the car as it had in the past. Then I noticed it would intermittently blow cold air. I took note of when, and noticed it only blew hot air when driving over 50 Mph or so. Today, when I tried to use the heater it not only just blew cold air, but the car started to overheat. The temperature gauge fluctuated between cold and hot. When it approached the red line either the fan would kick on or I would have to stop for a few minutes. I had the radiator replaced this summer and as far as know the coolant level is fine. But I won't be able to check till in the morning. I understand that this is most likely a problem with the thermostat, possibly the water pump, less likely the heater core. I would like some advice and/or insight into this matter. Thanks a bunch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011
Rookie
Classic Member

Thumbs up Hot Hot HOT

First thing to do is get that ol thermostat out and put in a new one. It's one of the most important gizmos on any vehicle. It uses wax internally expanding and contracting with heat to open and close a valve applied with a spring. The thermostat stays closed untill your engine reaches optimal tempurature. It then opens to allow the hot water into the rad to cool down and back into the engine to cool it down. your heater core is basically a mini radiator as well but will not circulate fluid without a circulating system.

REPLACE THERMOSTAT! if not you will kill engine.

While replacing the t-stat grab a multi meter and test your tempurature sensor and temp sender unit. one is for your dash and the other is for your computer to know when to turn on the engine fan. They are both pretty important.

Parts run you around $50

good luck

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Reply to Hot Hot Hot

Cool Beans! that is the plan for today. You wouldnt have to happened to know how to find out what temp rating I need do you? Apparently, there are several ratings 160, 180, 190, and 195 degrees.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011
Rookie
Classic Member

It's written

Try calling ford and asking the parts manager for that information. He/she will know what thermostat you need.

Resistance numbers for your temp sender and sensor are also in accordance with your engine and set up. Try posting another thread in the tech forums for the v6.

Good luck
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Update on Thermostat

I went to Advance Auto and bought a thermostat. They were able to give me one that matched the degree rating, 195 degrees, of the old one. I replaced it with new gasket, but it leaked. Long story short I ended up replacing the housing too. But now another problem seems to have developed. It takes a while for the car to heat up and sometimes the temp needle approaches the red line before coolant begins to flow through the upper radiator hose and thermostat producing heat in the interior. Once this happens, the temp drops. However, the temp gauge needle has come too close to the red line twice. In fact, it has caused the coolant to bubble out of the radiator or reservoir both times. I could not tell which because coolant was every where. I not sure what to do. Or what could be the problem. I will post this in the V6 forum as well.

Thanks for your help, Thebigpicture.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to NorStang
You did remember to air/burp the coolant after the swap right?

-1995 Conv V6 H/C/I and all bolt ons
-1994 Coupe V6 built by GSS Motorsports, painted by Allen Skaggs (Flawless Customs)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member

It is imperative that you do the correct burp procedure, otherwise IT WILL overheat, I am currently experiencing an overheating issue and I'm trying to pinpoint it.

as NorStang said, you have to burp the system, otherwise you will have air pockets in the system and it will overheat
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you everyone for your much needed advice. I'm sorry it has taken so long to update. There was air in the line. Once the system was burped everything has been running fine ever since. :-) Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page