Driver's Side Rear Brake Squeeking on My 2002 V6 Mustang - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
V6 Member

Driver's Side Rear Brake Squeeking on My 2002 V6 Mustang

My driver's side rear brake is making a horible screeching sound when i let off the brakes and it eases forward under its own power, however when i give it gas as soon as i let off the brakes it doesn't make a noise at all. I do believe this problem is linked to the fact it looks like my caliper is tilted some like this / if you are standing at the back of the car, i say this because the pad doesn't touch the rotor all the way maybe missing about .5-.75 inches of contact, picture is attached below, any ideas on what could be causeing these 2 problems?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	121115  

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's
coming soon: blower cam and intercooled M112
dealer for Ortiz Performance; tunes, cams, etc. PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011
Rookie
Classic Member

first things first

First thing i'd be doin is taking that there wheel off and checking to see if my calliper sliders are working. clean em up and lube em up with silicon based grease. Check your bracketS holding the pads in place on the calliper bracket some one might have installed incorrectly. Also clean and lube upon installation for easy ramoval in the future.

Most importantly check your brake pistons. make sure they're working evenly.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
V6 Member

the floating pins work (in one direction anyways lol, back and forth but could they get angled?) i checked when i put on the new brakes 2 weeks ago, the bracket set flush when i put it on, i took my time so i wouldnt cause any problems i'll be sure to get some of that silicone lube next time i can and try that, when i was under the car a couple days ago i noticed that it looked like the back side where the pistion pushes the pad against the rotor was making full contact, i know this may seem like a stupid question but is it possible that the caliper could have been bent before? (as this has happened before, actually since i've had the car 2 years ago, but never as loud, i'm guessing because the pads/rotors are still fresh they are making it louder)

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011
Rookie
Classic Member

Sure

No question is stupid man. Common now.... :yelpleased:

Sure something could be bent. Anything is possible. Maybe it's a defective calliper or bracket that needs to be replaced. Triple check all bolts. Make sure they're tight and flush. One may be stripped in and sideways on either the calliper to the bracket or the bracket to the nuckle.

If you have the old brake pads take a look for even wear. Are they even or angled?

Something tells me your sliders/floaters aren't working right.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011
Rookie
Classic Member

bleed

try bleeding your brake too. Get all the air out
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
V6 Member

Yeah the old pad on the outside is angled a little not major by it's angled, so does that mean floaters?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
V6 Member

for anyone who still may look at this thread, the noise/angled pad was caused by a little nib on the back off the pad that is used to line up the shim that goes on the back of it, grinded it down enough to get out of way and the noise disappered like magic
that little nib is why i had trouble getting caliper back on in the first place it barely bolted in, but now it just drops right in with no hassle, thanks for all the help!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page