2003 Mustang V6 Shifts hard from 1st to 2nd after Tune - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

2003 Mustang V6 Shifts hard from 1st to 2nd after Tune

Need a little help. I have a 2003 V6 with CAI, and true dual catback Spin Tech mufflers, and SCT tuner, and 255-40-17 wheels. Everything else stock. Replaced fuel filter, new ngk plugs wires and pcv valve. Then took to Blow By Racing here in Florida to get tuned yesterday. Now car revs to 3000-3100 rpms in first gear before shifting to 2nd, and bucks real hard. shifts from 2nd on up are fine, but first to second really bucks car. any advice? I told this to Blow By and they said its normal, and might smooth out some after computer reanalyzes my driving pattern. Is this normal? How long should I wait to smooth out some? Very uncomfortable with it shifting so hard between 1st and 2nd. Thanks in advance, Vic

2003 V6 White Convertible with Black Hood Stripe
255 x 40 x 17's with Black Billet Rims
Black Smoked Front and Rear Lenses
True Dual Spin Tech Pro Streets
CAI, 78,000 original miles.
FRPP 4.10 gears with T-Lock
SVT Tuner
Black Shorty Antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011
Redlyr

Give it 100-200 miles and see how it is from there.

Tunes usually firm up the shifts. It helps with acceleration and makes the transmissions last longer because they spend less time between gears "floating."

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

Thanks so much for your reply. Sorry took so long to get back. Decided to drive a few more days, then on Thursday (I'm off), if it still bucks, then I'll bring back and have him adjust shift points and check rev limiter. Will keep you posted. If you have any other suggestions, or advice, please throw it my way as I am new to this modding stuff, LOL. Thanks, Vic

SVT Tuner
Black Shorty Antenna

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011
Redlyr

You could always ask them to back off the shift hardness a bit to help. They might have put it a few percentage points over what is comfortable.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

Well couldn't wait until Thursday. Took to Blow By Racing, and Chris who tuned my car and is the owner I believe, was great. He took me in his office showed me what he was doing which I couldn't understand looking at the computer if I tried LOL. He made the necessary changes and D/L into the car. The car runs like a dream. Especially 50-85 MPH. Still some bump on first gear, but not as bad as before. Before shifted from 1st to 2nd at 3100-3500 RPM's. Now shifts between. 2200-2500 RPM's. When idling, wouldn't know the car is on if it wasn't for the Spin Tech rumble. For those of you in the South Florida area I highly recommend Blow By Racing I'm Boca Raton. Tell them Vic sent you. Thanks again for all the advice, interest and answers. They were greatly appreciated, Vic. P.S. Now for the 4.10's and posi rear in the rear end!

SVT Tuner
Black Shorty Antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page