Which Gas should i use - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

Post Which Gas should i use

I have a stock 2002 V6 msutang that i am just curious which gas would be better to run 87 unleaded octane or 91 premium octane?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
87 other than that your wasteing money

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Either is good but i'd only run higher octane if the cheap stuff makes your motor ping. Maybe a tank full of premium or a can of injector cleaner when you change the oil would be a good idea too. I only run premium in my 5.0 and in 13 years ive never had any fuel system problems at all so maybe its the fuel or maybe ive just been lucky

No motor, K&N Filter, Hypertech chip, National Drivetrain 3.73s, shift kit, Steeda subframe connectors, Ford Racing aluminum radiator, Chrome pony 5 stars. Coming soon: 347 stroker build in progress, Ford Racing Z heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM II intake

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I was running higher octane fuel in my 2006 v6 and over time it caused it to hesitate at stop lights when trying to accelerate. I switched to 87 and my problem was solved. and besides, its cheaper :P

2010, GT Premium, Grabber blue, Electronics package, 5 speed, 3.73s, AR LTH's, Catted X-Pipe, 3" exhaust, Bassani mufflers, Airaid CAI, SCT tune, Ford Racing Short Throw Shifter, Performance clutch, Boss 302 Front/rear Fascia, H&R SS drop springs, DIY Boss grille, Gold 19" SVE rims, Custom hood stripe, matte black roof, Roush rocker splitters, Ford Racing tow hook kit, and SIGNED BY VAUGHN GITTIN JR!

SOON: Front adjustable splitter, RTR rear splitter, BOOST
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

If it's not tuned for it or says to use premium, use 87. Like 05horse said, your wasting your money. Also 91 is harder to ignite than 87, most believe it's the other way around but its not. That's why people with alot higher compression or higher timing uses 91 or 93, to prevent detonation, slow burn rate. Alot of cars that should use 87 but put 91 or 93 in can have driveablitly issues due to it. Alot of time it can't combust all of the gas in the cylinder and it gets pushed out of the exhaust. This can actually harm your catalytic converts if you have them. With todays gas prices, if you can use 87, use it. I have to use 93 in my L and Cobra, the Expedition has a 91 tune but I think i'm going to get a 87 tune for it.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011
Redlyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oo5GT View Post
If it's not tuned for it or says to use premium, use 87. Like 05horse said, your wasting your money. Also 91 is harder to ignite than 87, most believe it's the other way around but its not. That's why people with alot higher compression or higher timing uses 91 or 93, to prevent detonation, slow burn rate. Alot of cars that should use 87 but put 91 or 93 in can have driveablitly issues due to it. Alot of time it can't combust all of the gas in the cylinder and it gets pushed out of the exhaust. This can actually harm your catalytic converts if you have them. With todays gas prices, if you can use 87, use it. I have to use 93 in my L and Cobra, the Expedition has a 91 tune but I think i'm going to get a 87 tune for it.
+1
Use what your car is tune for. Stock that is 87 octane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page