EGR Delete (From the Computer) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

EGR Delete (From the Computer)

Please spare me with the "it won't help mpg" or "you won't get any performance" because I already know. I am not going for performance or MPG. I broke the EGR pipe that goes to the exhaust header and I am not about to buy another one. I'd rather just delete the EGR system completely.

I already have the parts I need to block off the bung on the passenger side header and cover the area where the EGR mounts to the intake manifold.

What EXACTLY do I need in order to delete the EGR functions from the computer? I talked to my local Ford dealer today and they will not do it for me because they say it's illegal.

Thanks in advance.

MY STABLE
-----------------------------------------
1999 4.6L Supercharged Cobra Convertible 5 Speed - 4.10 Gears - Tuned - 410 wrhp
1999 3.8L V6 Mustang Convertible Stock Automatic (Daily Driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

try different ford dealers till you find one that's not so uptight about it.. otherwise a more expensive option is to get a tuner to write you a tune that deletes it

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

I don't think any dealer would do it. You need to get a programmer to do it.....

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Ironically, they reprogrammed my PATS for me when I decided to put a GT gauge cluster in my V6. In doing so, they helped me commit odometer fraud as the new cluster had about 32K less miles on it than what my old cluster had. I just had to wait quite a while before I went into the BMV to have any title work done on the car.

Anyway...

I think I am going to splurge and buy a tuner because I also want to do some work on the exhaust and remove the rear set of O2 sensors. I heard the only way to do that effectively was to remove them from the computer also.

Any recommendations on the best tuner that I should get? I've done a little research and read some threads on here but I see a lot of mixed information.

MY STABLE
1999 4.6L Supercharged Cobra Convertible 5 Speed - 4.10 Gears - Tuned - 410 wrhp
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

SCT is the most popular.. I'd find a dynotuning facility near you and find out what they use and buy a tune and tuner from them

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Would something like this allow me to delete the EGR functions from the computer?

MY STABLE
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

it will not allow YOU to but it will allow a tuner(the person writing the tune) to load said tune with the deleted egr functions into the cars computer

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011
MACH I Member

Garage
They didn't commit odometer fraud, you did by not reporting the car to the department of motor vehicles as TMU.

You need a tuner, no dealer will risk it deleting it since it is absolutely illegal. It's a federal crime to remove any emissions control devices on a street driven car.

Avoid Ebay tuners, especially from a low feedback seller. Just spend the cash and buy one new from a reputable dealer so that it will work. Ebay tuners tend to be locked and unusable.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page