Help with 2002 V6 Coupe & PO455 code - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

Help with 2002 V6 Coupe & PO455 code

My 2002 3.8L V6 Coupe's Service Engine Soon light is on and also the Check Fuel Cap light is on. The code that was given was a PO455 (gross evap leak). I tried a new fuel cap, as my stock cap was pretty worn out. I reset the battery, but about 120 miles later the Service Engine Soon light comes on and another 50 miles or so, the Fuel Cap light comes back on. I assumed that because of the GROSS evap leak (as opposed to a small leak) that it was something larger than just the fuel cap, but I never smell gasoline or anything. Is my next step the fog machine to find the leak?

Thanks in advance for any help or just reaffirming my denial.

Eryn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011
MACH I Member

Garage
It is probably the vent solenoid, but I would have it properly troubleshot before throwing parts at it. The evap circuit needs to check out electrically first before smoke testing.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

If it was the vent solenoid curcuit, wouldn't it throw the appropriate code for that issue? *Sigh* Alright. Back to the shop.
Thanks!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011
MACH I Member

Garage
The EVAP system can be a downright pain in the a$$ to diagnose properly. The codes can be misleading and you gotta really do proper troubleshooting to get it nailed the first time. All manufacturers use different codes for different faults yet the OBD2 codes are standardized so one code can mean something else on a different car.

As for the gross leak code, as I said, most of the time it is because the vent solenoid is stuck or broken. Many times, it will still report correct voltages to the ECM/PCM so it will not cause the CEL. But, when the car does it's self diagnostic test on the EVAP system, it will not be able to pressurize the system so it reports a gross leak. A leaking gas cap almost never reports as a gross leak as well.

Technically, you REALLY need a bi-directional scanner and a smoke machine to work on the EVAP system. The scan tool can force the EVAP test and cycle the solenoids so you can in it down there if that is the problem. If everything works then you know you need the smoke machine and test for leaks. Also, even if the scan tool cannot force the solenoid to function you still gotta check the wiring to be sure there are no breaks in the wires to the solenoid.

I've been a mechanic for 20+ years and if there is one system that is really annoying to work on it is the EVAP.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2002 ford mustang , check fuel cap , gross evap leak , po455 , service engine soon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page