1999 mustang 3.8l headers removal - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

1999 mustang 3.8l headers removal

hey guys,
im having trouble replacing my blown exhaust manifold gasket on the passanger side of my 99 mustang.
the biggest problem that im having is the egr tube that runs from the pump to the bottom of the header.
can anyone give me a tip on how to take the egr tube of i cant get of the part thats all the way in the headers and i cant move the headers to swap the gasket beacuase theeres no room?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011
BOSS Member
V6 Member

Just undo the part of the tube from the valve and undo manifold studs from the cylinder head and drop the gasket in from top, thats the way i put in my new gasket when i put my headers on it.

if your replacing it with the same factory metal gasket that has the lips at bottem then you should be able to pop it up in place from the bottem without much fuss

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's
coming soon: blower cam and intercooled M112
dealer for Ortiz Performance; tunes, cams, etc. PM me!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

yea that what i tried doing yesterday. but i seem to have a lot of trouble trying to take of the last two bolts on the headers.
it seems the egr tube keeps getting in the way of my ratchet and the header bolt

any tips on the easiest way of taking the back two bolts of?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011
BOSS Member
V6 Member

If I remember correctly I had to use a wrench instead of the socket on the back two on one of the sides, not sure which, I can't remember if they hit the tube or what on that side but if they do just keep pressure on the manifold back towards the side of the car to give u more room to work, I've done this twice and it really didn't take that long, especially the second time it was a lot quicker lol

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

ahh i see. well i guess my works gona be cut out for me this week =)
im going to get to it tomorrow thanks a lot for the help appreciate it
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011
BOSS Member
V6 Member

Not a problem, be sure to post up when u get er done lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
manifold gasket exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page