Is this a bad Throw Out Bearing or something else? - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
boobbbers's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4
 
Exclamation Is this a bad Throw Out Bearing or something else?

I'm kind of in a rutt here. I just picked up a 2002 Mustang about a month ago and now there this awkward sound coming from the clutch pedal. I'm thinking its the throw out bearing but all my tech friends think it could be something else because the sound isn't coming through the shifter.

Heres a video of it.

YouTube - Clutch 1

Any thoughts?

boobbbers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011
PONY Member
 
306Notch's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 525
 
It only does it when its running? Still shifts okay?


[SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy]Black 1990 Notchback
306, 70mm turbo, HCI, 5sp, coilovers and 5 lug conversion.
306Notch is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
boobbbers's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 306Notch View Post
It only does it when its running? Still shifts okay?
Thats a good question. In the morning, its silent, but starts getting rough when I'm driving. Once I park, you can still hear it but it's not as prevalent. So no, it does it while the car is running, but very slightly when the engine is off.

Shifting wise, its a tad bit rougher than I remember it being when I first got the car a month ago.
boobbbers is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011
Apprentice
 
billf's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Western New York
Posts: 62
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobbbers View Post
Thats a good question. In the morning, its silent, but starts getting rough when I'm driving. Once I park, you can still hear it but it's not as prevalent. So no, it does it while the car is running, but very slightly when the engine is off.

Shifting wise, its a tad bit rougher than I remember it being when I first got the car a month ago.
Typically, throw-our bearing noise only occurs when the engine is running. It is caused by a worn out (dry) bearing (only makes high pitched noise when rotating), and will be heard when depressing the clutch pedal. If you hold the pedal partially depressed, the sound will be there. It only goes away when the pedal is released (top of travel). That is when the bearing is free of the rotating clutch pressure plate. When not rotating, it doesn't make noise.

If the sound is there when the engine is off, then it has nothing to do with the throw out bearing. More than likely, the clutch pedal linkage, cable or clutch release arm (transmitting sound thru the cable). Let me correct my statement above: The throw out bearing rides on a collar, which is sometimes made of aluminum, which can gall. Therefore, check at the opening to the bell housing, also (where the throw out arm passes thru it). Since it will make noise when the engine is off, it should be easier to find.

Good hunting,

Bill
billf is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
boobbbers's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billf View Post
Typically, throw-our bearing noise only occurs when the engine is running. It is caused by a worn out (dry) bearing (only makes high pitched noise when rotating), and will be heard when depressing the clutch pedal. If you hold the pedal partially depressed, the sound will be there. It only goes away when the pedal is released (top of travel). That is when the bearing is free of the rotating clutch pressure plate. When not rotating, it doesn't make noise.

If the sound is there when the engine is off, then it has nothing to do with the throw out bearing. More than likely, the clutch pedal linkage, cable or clutch release arm (transmitting sound thru the cable). Let me correct my statement above: The throw out bearing rides on a collar, which is sometimes made of aluminum, which can gall. Therefore, check at the opening to the bell housing, also (where the throw out arm passes thru it). Since it will make noise when the engine is off, it should be easier to find.

Good hunting,

Bill
Interesting. I'll give this a shot! Thanks for the tip
boobbbers is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011
Apprentice
 
billf's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Western New York
Posts: 62
 
Boobbbers,

As I re-read your original post, my thoughts return to the cable. They are the first to go, as they are exposed to heat (headers), condensation, and friction from having to transmit the pull over the curve formed to reverse the pull direction. Increasing friction in the cable/cable sheeth (while being used) will make the effort increase as the clutch is used during the day.

If you have access to an automotive stethescope (cheap at Harbour Freight), you will more easily isolate the noise, which will indicate the problem...cable, inside bell housing, etc.

Bill
billf is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
boobbbers's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billf View Post
Boobbbers,

As I re-read your original post, my thoughts return to the cable. They are the first to go, as they are exposed to heat (headers), condensation, and friction from having to transmit the pull over the curve formed to reverse the pull direction. Increasing friction in the cable/cable sheeth (while being used) will make the effort increase as the clutch is used during the day.

If you have access to an automotive stethescope (cheap at Harbour Freight), you will more easily isolate the noise, which will indicate the problem...cable, inside bell housing, etc.

Bill
I have a really long metal stick, think that would work in place of a stethoscope?
boobbbers is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011
Apprentice
 
billf's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Western New York
Posts: 62
 
Yes, as long as you can apply some pressure onto the object (cable is difficult), and agains't the bone infront of the ear at the same time. Make sure that it is metal...wood doesn't transmit sound well.

Bill
billf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1