My gas mileage, how to improve? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

My gas mileage, how to improve?

I have a V6 mustang and the previous owner had GT injectors on it and Dual Flowmaster Exaust, But i only get 14MPG City and around 19 On Highway for a v6 i feel like its terrible ...

Is there something wrong with my car or the way i drive or something? Also its Manual Transmission, does anyone know which gear is best to stay in for best gas mileage? Ive been told that the LESS RPM the engine is running the less gas it uses....

Any advice would be helpful,

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

the injectors could be the issue... see if you just randomly throw a bigger sized injector(one with a higher flow rating) then theyre going to throw too much gas at a time... so thats probably why your gas mileage is lower if you can get it tuned for those injectors or replace with stock rated injectors it would probably go up.. otherwise make sure your tires are properly inflated.. among other things.. there are alot of things that combine to determine your fuel mileage

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

New plugs, plug wires, keep tires inflated right, serpentine, good battery, not having a powerful radio, make sure a brake is not dragging... There are lots of things to try. Cruising in final gear is best of course, but if you are accelerating hard enough up to that gear you will see a lot of mpg loss. You might not see the same mpg as what is rated, since the EPA is in the pocket of auto makers (IMO anyways). Also use good gas.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

run some Sea foam through the gas, also you should of asked the guy you bought it from if the rear had new gears installed. Im going to agree the injectors are probably the culprit. Do you happen to know the injectors poundage?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
sounds like its time for a tuneup!

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011
BOSS Member
V6 Member

romp on it everytime you get on the onramp, set cruise control at 90+ mph always, and hold it at about 1200rpms when you waiting at a stoplight ready to take off and drag race the grandma in the buick beside you will all dramatically improve mileage

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's
coming soon: blower cam and intercooled M112
dealer for Ortiz Performance; tunes, cams, etc. PM me!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Skype™ to MustangStNick
WoW! For a 6 that does suck!!! Especially with the way gas prices are going these days. If I got that milage with my new 5L I'd be *issed too. Like others have advised: Injectors, and gears would be the first things I would check. Driving habits next!

Good Luck

Magna 2300 TVS Supercharger,500+RWH,355 Gears, 3" Pypes OffRoad X Pipe,3" GT500 Exhaust w/High Flo Cats, w/GT500 Axel Backs,18"X10" NZO Halo II's w/ Michlin Pilots.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

with the right kind of driving, gears will help fuel mileage not hurt it

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011
Redlyr

Usually the highest gear you can go into without lugging the engine is the best. With my 3.73 rear ratio I can use 5th gear at around 40mph. For the stock gearing I wouldn't use 5th below 45mph.

As a side note to what Mark said, I can still manage 28-30mpg @ 70mph with 3.73s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page